Difference between gamer and miner cards of the same model

clockworkflame

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
I'm interested in buying an GTX 1060 and found a good offer yesterday, but noticed that it was listed as a miner card, alongside a heavily reduced warranty period of 3 months, compared to the 3 years on nearly all other gaming intended cards. Also, after speaking to an official, the card does have all needed video ports on the back.

My question is such:
-Are there any other major differences between miner and gaming cards (from the same manufacturer and model)?
-And would you buy a card that had only 1/10 its intended warranty if you wouldnt overclock it, put it under heavy load, and the market in your area wasnt well developed?

A comparison between two such cards, note that one is overclocked - http://www.gigabyte.us/Comparison/Result/3?pids=6089,6396

Solution
Most of the miner cards do not have video connections (HDMI, DP, DVI). Which kinda makes it useless for gaming. The picture data in the summary does not show what video connections it has, but the picture shows the video connections.

clockworkflame

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014

Already spoke to an official from the shop, he told me that it did in fact feature all of the usual output ports

However, most miners will purchase a standard card anyways if they can get it for cheaper. Feelin is talking about offical miner cards.

Overall. Really no difference other then port connections. Which again, miners tend to buy just standard cards anyways.

This is why there was an inflation in 1070 cards. Miners buying them all up.

Specs show the mining card having a higher core/boost speed (assuming that's the model that ends with "M") than the regular gaming card. The exact opposite of what I would have thought. Also I'm surprised Gigabyte gave their 3GB variant 1060 a mining target.

The 6GB 1060 is mostly what miners are buying in absence of 570s/580s and 1070s. Also the 3GB 1060 has some Cuda cores cut. It is not just a 6GB 1060 with 3GB VRAM. Nvidia should have called the 6GB the 1060Ti and the 3GB 1060 the 1060.

TRENDING THREADS