Difference between GeForce 2 GTS and Pro?

G

As I see, yo can have both cards in the same price!
http://www.pricewatch.com/

Isn't this weird? I'm interested in 64MB, and TV out.
Could someone explain it to me? I thought Pro is better than GTS!

Also: Do these cards have -more than good- DVD palyback support? And what about the TV-out? Which is the higher resolution you can have through your connection to the TV? I know certain models of GeForce 3 support 1024x768. What about Geforce 2?
thanx
stark

Blue Skies Bring Tears

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Pro is supposed to be 215MHz chip/400MHZ (5.5ns) Memory, while the GTS is 200MHz chip/333MHz (6ns) memory. BUT IT HASN'T BEEN THAT WAY! A lot of manufaturers are CHEATING THEIR CUSTOMERS by pairing the PRO chip with 6ns memory and calling the card a Pro! The clock speed is almost a non-issue as memory bandwidth is the bottleneck of these cards. There is less that a 1% difference in peroformance between 200 and 215MHz chips with the same memory speed. But there is a 15% or better difference in performance going from 333MHz to 400MHz DDR Memory speed.

So you get what you pay for, buy the cheap Pro with 6ns memory and expect GTS speed, or be more selective and buy one for more money with the correct 5.5ns memory!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
The Geforce2 Pro's have the exact same chip as the GTS, they are just supposed to come equipped with memory at a higher speed. My GTS has 5.5ns memory, and I've overclocked it to almost Pro levels (220/390) with no problems. I do believe some Pro's come equipped with 5ns memory? It all depends on the manufacturer, but always check the stock settings of the card before buying it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When I noticed the cheap prices I went to the manufacturers websites and found out that these cards were indeed using 6ns memory. Which means that they are no PRO, their just a GTS that says "Pro" under the heatsink. But YES, they are SOLD as PROS!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

So just get an ULTRA or GF3, so I'll be guaranteed a fast chip?

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

G

I would if I could afford it. I'll be able to afford it when I make a new comp in September. (Right before college starts) Athlon 4 and GF3 or Radeon II woohoo!

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!