Question Difference between Gsync,freesync and vsync

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Iam building a new pc using following config
i5 9400f
gtx 1660 ti.

I bought every components except monitor.
Iam looking for a 60 hz monitor.
Before choosing the monitor I have to clear some doubts.

I cant afford a good monitor with Gsync or freesync technology.
Thats why iam asking this questions.

While playing games If the fps is above 60 then it will experience screen tearing.
If the fps is lower than 60 then sluttering will happen.

What to do in this situation?

If the monitor has Gsync or Freesync this problem wont arise.

Some people prefer the option of capping fps to 60.
Some people prefer the option of vsync.

1.How to avoid screen tearing and sluttering if the monitor has no Gsync or Freesync technology?
2.best way to cap the fps to 60 without sluttering and tearing?
3.is vsync ingame option or the monitor property?
4.does Turning on Vsync leads to input lag?

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
The best way to avoid screen tearing without Gsync or Freesync is by using Vsync.
Turning on Vsync in a game will cap the FPS to about 60, but it caps to the exact refresh rate of the monitor, so it will actually end up slightly over/under 60.
Vsync is an ingame or GPU control panel setting, not a property of the monitor.
Vsync produces a small amount of input lag that some claim is noticeable while others claim is insignificant.

Nvidia has an other sync option that is called fast,it will run as many FPS as your system can handle but only send completed frames to the monitor that way you have the FPS you would have without vsync but you also have no tearing.
Riva tuner statistics server is a good program to cap your FPS it's part of MSI afterburner.

If you are building a system with a decent CPU and video card, then save the extra $40 and get a proper monitor to run them on. This is probably the cheapest screen for a gaming setup I would consider https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1YCKA...d_r=2a312412-6c39-11e9-8e21-1bab6014d995&th=1 , but really you should be in the $180-200 range for the 144hz screens like https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2401-FreeSync-Advanced-Ergonomics/dp/B07JK6XMSN?th=1 . Or look for some used monitors.

The screen is what you look at every time you use the computer, putting no money aside for that is a bit silly.

Reactions: jankerson