Difference between Intel Core i7 8700 and i5-8500?

Jul 8, 2018
Hi all, what do you think about the difference between Intel Core i7 8700 and Intel Core i5-8500?

Is it worth it getting i7 or i5 is completely fine, are there any drastic differences that would improve my working experience on them? My work is based on Web design/development (Photoshop Illustrator and similar programs) and Android app development (Android studio, unity and so). Once more my configuration wont be used as a gaming machine.

Thanks for answers and your opinions.

Best regards.

Solution
The I7 supports hyper threading basically means it has virtual double the amount of cores so an i5 8500 has 6 threads and 6 cores while the i7 8500 has 6 cores and 12 threads. It also has higher base/max cpu speed and more cache so it really depends if your workstation load.

ikaz

Distinguished
The I7 supports hyper threading basically means it has virtual double the amount of cores so an i5 8500 has 6 threads and 6 cores while the i7 8500 has 6 cores and 12 threads. It also has higher base/max cpu speed and more cache so it really depends if your workstation load.

Solution
For your work the two are totally sufficient and, surely you will not notice any difference.

If you dedicate yourself to video editing you might notice a certain difference in favor of the I7, but keep in mind that, in any case, they are small differences, and the I5-8500 would work very well.

I'm sure I5-8400 would also be totally valid.

Jul 8, 2018
OK thanks for answers.

would I need to change my motherboard for new i7 in case if I choose it.
My current motherboard that I choose is ASUS PRIME B360-PLUS.

Best regards.