Difference between Leased line and the DSL Line

Kallapiran

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hi there,

I was breaking my head for the last couple of days. The reason is i want to know the difference between the leased line and the DSL line. The whole thing behind the confusion is, We plan to have a high speed internet connection in our office. We will don't have a branch office or some thing like that. I preffered to have high speed internet in our office. I found in some website that Lease line will have high speed connectivity(Upto 10Gbps). Can i use the lease line or DSL is enough for our office. Our office contains of 82 user who will use internet. Give me some sugession.

Thanks in advance...

Nick Ryder

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hi there,

the main thing to consider when looking at internet connectivity is how reliable does it need to be? ADSL is a very good product but traditionally it does not come with any useful service level agreement. This means that should the line even develop a fault, there is no obligation on the part of the ISP to fix it withing a sensible time frame. Leased lines are more expensive but on average they do come with a guarenteed fix time of around 4 hours.

ADSL is usually a contended service which means that other peoples usage may affect your lines performance. Leased lines are uncontended so what you get is all your own.

Additionally, upload speeds are often a lot lower than the download performance on ADSL whereas with a leased line it is the same both ways.

Finally, ADSL is delivered on copper pairs of wire. Sometimes the quality of the copper can vary from building to building which in turn can affect the performance of the ADSL. Leased lines are delivered on fibre so do not suffer from these potential problems.

There is a really good related article on it here - http://adayinthelifeof.ccsleeds.co.uk/2012/03/which-is-better-bt-infinity-fttc-or.html

Kind regards and I hope this helps,

Nick.

kinamama

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
mpls is a combination of networks of maybe a few leased line connections, efm internet connections and dsl. The key to cloud is a stable data connection; small businesses may use a broadband connection which may be ok for basic cloud options. If you are really looking to embrace cloud and all the services it brings with it such as VoIP, saas, back up, disaster recovery not to mention the massive savings that can be made, you are going to need a more stable connection such as a leased line.

To know more or for having a leased line quote . You can go through here for free help - http://datacompare.co.uk

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Like what Nick Ryder said, the biggest difference is the SLA. They will make sure it is up and running and help you with almost any issues in short time.

If you're lucky, like me, your ISPs residential lines are physically dedicated, but that still doesn't include an SLA.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

What is an hour of downtime (no internet) worth to you? It can add up quick when you are down! You should also get two internet connections (Time Warner and AT&T for example) at a minimum if these users need the internet to do their jobs.

I worked at a wireless ISP that had to bail out a call center who made poor planning decisions with AT&T. The owner was frantic about getting a connection. Luckily we had two sets of wireless backhauls in stock that allowed them to get all 600 users up and running in less than two days.
Later after AT&T was installed, we were asked to remove our equipment because "AT&T was reliable and had a contract with 5 9's of reliability..." two weeks later we were asked to reinstall our equipment because one month of paying our company for the internet wasn't equal to one hour of labor for their company much less the lost revenue....

So again I'll ask, what's an hour of downtime worth?

p2gallery

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

contact our sales team 9222960487

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
With 82 users that use the internet to do their job I'd go a minumum of 500kbps per user on a leased line and buy more if expansion is expected in the future. ADSL is not reliable in Florida where I'm at when it rains and there is lightning. Considering your delima, buy a leased line of and take contention issues off the table when dealing with best effort service. 82 people need to be able to work all of the time.........You have been warned!!!

mattstechcorner

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Hi

Issue with DSL is that its often contended and is run using copper pairs over the last mile network so its not always reliable. Leased Lines normally use dedicated fibre to your premises, are uncontended (you don't share the bandwidth) and come with a great SLA so if it breaks the provider will fix it very quickly. You can compare fibre providers now adays using comparison sites like www.fibrecomparison.co.uk and pricing is always coming down