Difference between LED and LED backlight monitor

Arbegust

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I know what an LCD monitor is, and I understand how LED monitors work. I don't understand, however, why one would purchase and LCD/LED backlight. Why not just get an LED? If I'm not mistaken it would have a better contrast ratio and possibly a higher refresh rate. If I'm missing something obvious and seem ignorant I apologise. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Refresh rate is the same i think, has nothing to do with the form of lighting.
A LED is a LCD. A normal LCD works with an other lightsource, like normal light bulbs ( not really normal but still ), a LED LCD works with LED's as a lightsource.
LED obviously uses less electricty and is a better light source.( brighter and better colours i believe )

fatfatr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
An LED display is pretty much an LCD with an LED backlight. What you have on your mind is an OLED display. It's the same kind of screen you can find in smartphones (AMOLED), but an OLED at monitor size would cost you a kidney.

Well basically an actual LED Monitor is bloody expensive if you will pardon by French. Led backlit models give better more even lighting, or so they say. My monitor is LED backlit and it is better than my old one that had cathode lighting.
I think you mean OLED when you say LED as oposed to LED backlit ?

Mactronix :)

^- Adding to mactronix

Theres a couple of different lighting ways for LCD's (these 2 are the most common).

First is CCFL-LCD - these LCD's are lit by a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp

Second is LED-LCD - these are usually powered by a Light Emitting Diode

Now I won't even get into the OLED and Super AMOLED stuff...

Basically the LED stuff these days are better, you are correct that they do give energy savings over CCFL. Plus LED light LCD's apparently have a better color/light gradiant over the entire screen.

Omi3D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
There is also a differance in "EDGE" lit LED screens & "BACK" lit LED screens.

EDGE -
Has LED lighting around the edge of the screen. This affords better Black/white contrast w/o the color washout effect of backlit screens.

BACKLIT -
Has an LED lighting array directly behind the viewing surface. This affords a better color gamut of colors seen but a narrower range in contrast.

Both have their pros & cons. It really only matters if you're viewing at a distance -> farther-> than the specific screen size would suggest.
That, and the side angle viewing are probably the ones you would most be able to tell any differances about.

I personally prefer "EDGE" lit. Because most viewing materials are encoded in such a way as to be off black, I like the higher contrast range of the edge lit screens. On a pure black screen, the corners will appear brighter (naturally) and some people do not like that non-uniform image on dark scenes. However, this is only eveident while the set is new. After a burn in of say 100 hours.. the screen will become quite uniform on dark scenes.

A LED monitor is a LCD monitor with LED backlight.

All consumer level "LED monitors" uses edge LED backlighting. Also the LED used do not actually produce white light. Instead blue LEDs with a yellow phosphorus coating to imitate white are used as backlight. A few people who use "LED monitors" have complained that the colors do seem slightly bluish, but most people do not notice it.