[SOLVED] Difference between led_cpu and rgb header

Jowcha2003

Commendable
Dec 10, 2019
I'm asking this because i want to install wraith prism and i don't have rgb header on my MB (Gigabyte B450M DS3H V1) can i connect it to led_cpu??

Solution
The Wraith Prism CPU cooler has ARGB lighting built into it. BUT it is possible for such a system to work with the less-complex plain RGB lighting signals IF they are handled correctly, so the Wraith Prism unit HAS been designed to accept EITHER type of lighting controls, but NOT both at the same time.

The unit has TWO sockets on its side. One of those accepts a cable (supplied) that goes to a FOUR-pin plain RGB mobo header. Your mobo's LED_CPU header is one of that type, so you can use it. If you connect that way, do NOT connect the other cable to the USB socket. Then you use the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software utility to control the lights.

The plain RGB system can generate loads of colours and change them over time. But at any one...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
LED_CPU is the RGB Fusion header on that motherboard.

I believe so, seems to be some general confusion between the Wraith Prism and Wraith Prism Max (it has USB for control and an RGB header not compatible with RGB Fusion, I think)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Wraith Prism CPU cooler has ARGB lighting built into it. BUT it is possible for such a system to work with the less-complex plain RGB lighting signals IF they are handled correctly, so the Wraith Prism unit HAS been designed to accept EITHER type of lighting controls, but NOT both at the same time.

The unit has TWO sockets on its side. One of those accepts a cable (supplied) that goes to a FOUR-pin plain RGB mobo header. Your mobo's LED_CPU header is one of that type, so you can use it. If you connect that way, do NOT connect the other cable to the USB socket. Then you use the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software utility to control the lights.

The plain RGB system can generate loads of colours and change them over time. But at any one moment the entire light system is the SAME colour. In the more complex ARGB system a strip of lights can have many different colours along it at any moment, so the displays are more complex. Photos often show a rainbow display to emphasize this, since a plain RGB system can't do that.

To use the ARGB capabilities of a Wraith Prism unit you make a different connection. Do NOT connect the 4-pin RGB cable. Instead, connect the other cable supplied from the Wraith's USB port to a mobo USB2 header. Then download and install the dedicated Wraith Prism software utility supplied by Cooler Master, which uses this USB connection to communicate its instructions for the ARGB controller built into the Wraith unit. I came across a really good video here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZQKYsQud0

showing how this works.

So you get to choose. You can use the mobo LED_CPU header and get plain RGB lighting effects using Gigabyte RGB Fusion software. OR for no extra money you can use the USB2 cable connection instead with the free CoolerMaster software and exploit the ARGB lighting capabilities of the system.

Solution