Difference between router and adapter and do I need both?

cdlaman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new PC. My motherboard is a Maximus XI Z390 with onboard 802.11 ac WiFi

My ISP is Cox. The access point is downstairs and currently it is the Cox provided Netgear N450CG 3000Dv2 Cable modem/router.

Do I need a wireless adapter in my new PC to connect to the wireless network? Let's assume I cannot move the router or the PC close enough to use an Ethernet cable.

I've looked online and seen recommendations for the Netgear Nighthawk 1900 wireless router. If I were to get this (or any recommended wireless router for gaming) does that replace the N450CG provided by Cox or does that attach to my PC? Do I need anything given the onboard Wi-Fi?

Thanks

Solution
the onboard wifi for the motherboard is all you need to receive internet from the router. so you should be good to go.

and yes the nighthawk router would replace the one from cox. whether it is needed or not is a different story. most oft he isp provided routers are good enough if you have slower speed packages. but once you get past 500 mb/s speed, then they often leave you lacking. once the pc is built, then do a speed check from the motherboard adapter. if it gets decent enough speed, then don't worry about it. but if you get very little of the speed you pay for, then start looking for why and get what you need to make a good connection. might be router, might be adapter on pc. won't know until you check.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the onboard wifi for the motherboard is all you need to receive internet from the router. so you should be good to go.

and yes the nighthawk router would replace the one from cox. whether it is needed or not is a different story. most oft he isp provided routers are good enough if you have slower speed packages. but once you get past 500 mb/s speed, then they often leave you lacking. once the pc is built, then do a speed check from the motherboard adapter. if it gets decent enough speed, then don't worry about it. but if you get very little of the speed you pay for, then start looking for why and get what you need to make a good connection. might be router, might be adapter on pc. won't know until you check.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You will be able to connect wirelessly to the N450 modem/router, as it is a wifi router and your motherboard includes a wifi adapter. That being said, your router wifi is a fair bit slower than what your motherboard wifi is capable of, so you might get faster speeds with a faster wifi router/access point. But that would also depend on what speed you pay for from Cox.

If you were to buy a new wireless router/access point such as the Nighthawk, it would connect to the N450, not your PC. It would not fully replace the N450, as you still need a modem.