Difference between these two 1440p/165hz displays?

wotwotwotwot

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
So i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to monitors and i'm just a little confused. I'm looking at getting a 1440p/165hz display, as my 1080/60hz display is just stupid with a 7700k/1080.

These are the monitors i'm deciding between:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36713/aoc-agon-ag271qg-27in-g-sync-165hz-ips-gaming-monitor

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33848/asus-pg279q-rog-swift-27in-165hz-g-sync-ips-gaming-monitor/

Yes those prices are correct, welcome to Australia.

What is the difference between them, aside from brand name? Both monitors are 27in 1440p/165hz displays with an IPS panel, 4ms response time and G-sync. Is there any reason at all that i should spend the extra $300 on the asus one? If it's worth it for some reason it's not a huge deal to spend a some extra, but i'd much rather save it.

Thanks.

Solution
I'm looking at the same two monitors, and welcome to NZ where the prices are slightly higher again!!

I'm unsure about the legs on the Acer, I don't know if I like it... The Asus strikes the balance of looking like a professional monitor as well as a gaming monitor. I really like the modern look stands like that on the Acer X34 and would like to see a stand like that on the Asus ROG...

I watched a review of these two monitors and the Asus has the better build quality and features whereas Acer sacrificed some quality for price. The Acer OSD is not meant to be very user friendly wheras Asus is groundbreaking with the joystick feature...

Apart from that the panels are meant to be about identical with the Asus having slightly punchier...

dariens007

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
not a monitor expert but i'll give me 2 cents.

Asus is a top brand and that monior is a ROG monitor that is rated by asus for professional

dont get that monitor unless your winning tournaments. you get a sponsor to buy that monitor lol.

if it was a 32" i'd consider but it's a 27"

also you have a 1080 and playing at 1440p resolutions it's gonna BLOW through that so i dont think you really need above a 144hz monitor, you might need 2 graphics card to drive something higher than that to be honest.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I'm looking at the same two monitors, and welcome to NZ where the prices are slightly higher again!!

I'm unsure about the legs on the Acer, I don't know if I like it... The Asus strikes the balance of looking like a professional monitor as well as a gaming monitor. I really like the modern look stands like that on the Acer X34 and would like to see a stand like that on the Asus ROG...

I watched a review of these two monitors and the Asus has the better build quality and features whereas Acer sacrificed some quality for price. The Acer OSD is not meant to be very user friendly wheras Asus is groundbreaking with the joystick feature...

Apart from that the panels are meant to be about identical with the Asus having slightly punchier colours...

Edit: Sorry, I was comparing the Asus to the Acer Predator XB271HU, another G-Sync monitor. I haven't read too much on the AOC yet.

Solution