Difference between versions of R9 280x

Shone95

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Greetings! :)

I was looking to buy new GPU but my budget is not very big.
Tho it is big enough to consider buying R9 280x.
But what confuses me is that I don't know what are the differences between some versions of it.
Like there are:
- PowerColor;
- Dual x;
- Vapor Trixx.
And probably some more but I haven't found them.
So my question is. Is there a big difference between them and is it worth to give some more money for the Vapor Trixx or will PowerColor do just fine?
Also is it better if the GPU is overclocked or not?
I know that if they're OC that they give better results. But is their working period shortened by it, does it make GPU use more power, does it heat more? Is all of that damaging the GPU or motherboard or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

modernwar99

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Well the TRI-X has the best cooling system, but the R9 280x supply is REALLY low (AMD stopped shipping them) and I can't find any TRI-X in stock for under $300. I actually have the R9 280x Dual-X and the temps are nice and cool under 70C even when OCed. Certain models of the Dual-X (the BF4 edition I think) have unlocked voltage which may or may not matter depending on how hardcore you're going to OC it. For the price the powercolor is great.

You might as well play around with OCing if you buy one. Yeah the lifespan is shortened by running it at higher voltages, but not enough for it to fail early on you unless you plan on keeping it longer than 5 years. If you're honestly concerned though, only load the OC settings when you're gaming or something and then set it back when you're done. Even at 1.3v (max for voltage locked 280x) the temps stay under 70C and still runs fine on my 550 watt PSU.

Shone95

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Thank you for answering.

I've found it on a website where you can buy used, non used, ruined ect. thing for lower prices. And this GPU that I found was used only for testing and it's already OC-ed(the one with Vapor Trixx).
I'm not familiar with OC-ing. I've never done that nor watched someone doing it. So if I buy OC-ed one it will run like that until I decide it's time to replace it.
I'm about to have Cooler Master b700 v2, 700w PSU. And that should be good enough. :D
So what would you recommend me? To go for PowerColor one(Not OC-ed), Sapphire Dual-X(OC-ed) or Sapphire Vapor Trixx(OC-ed)? Or is there nVidia GPU with similar price and capabilities that I should look for?