Difference in Quality between a monitor and a tv.

Sad_Trombone

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
I have a Toshiba 23L1350U 23" television that I am currently using as the monitor for my computer. I want to get an Acer H236HL Bid Monitor, 23" as well. I connect using HDMI. Both have a resolution of 1080p. Would I see an improvement in quality, or is it not worth the purchase?

Solution
Monitors are made for close range viewing and are typically of higher quality. You can expect better color reproduction, much lower response time, and better sharpness when viewing from optimal range.

If your not a student, professional or gamer you can get away with using a monitor.

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I have a 27" samsung monitor, and a friend has a 27" samsung tv, both same 1920x1080 res. We use at the same distance, and I can see quite an improvement on mine regarding sharpness.

Anyway, if you're spending some cash to get better image quality, I would personally get an IPS 27 2560x1440p monitor. You'd have a huge boom in quality. The only downside to it is that you'll need a decent pc to play games on it.

Sad_Trombone

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014

That's a good point. I was thinking of eventually getting two more Acers for triple-surround gaming. The thin bezel of the monitor really helps with that.

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Depends really. I think that one really good monitor is the best for overall usage. If you're into coding or editing pics and/or videos, a dual monitor set up is nice. For simulators, like F1 or Flight Simulator X, a triple monitor set up is better. Now, for everything else, especially fps games such as COD and Battlefield, or mmo games, one monitor is the best. That's my opinion at least. If I had the cash right now, I'd get what I advised you, especially due to my pc being strong enough to hold its horses when gaming on 1440p. You could get a 144hz monitor if you prefer that than IPS, but color reproduction and resolution always comes first for me, assuming you're not getting one of those 4k 30hz monitor. That's a big no no, but 60hz is good enough for me.

Solution