[SOLVED] Difference in single core performance between these 3 CPUs?

Aug 20, 2020
I'm currently trying to find the difference between the R5 3600, the i5-9600k and the i7-9700k. So far the only sources for single core benchmarks are CineBenchs, but I'm not entirely sure how those results translate to gaming performance. Currently trying to upgrade from an i7-4790k. I was also considering in looking into the i5-10600k, but from the i5-10600k benchmarks that I've seen have skipped straight into result charts and not show gameplay with a graph that says how many cores/threads were being used during the benchmarks. So I can only assume the i5-10600k's similar performance to the i7-9700k is due more to the hyperthreading than the 6 cores. There's also a lot of issues around the 1200 lga motherboards, so I've lost interested in the Comet Lake CPU series line.

The reason as to why I'm trying to find single core performance is because the games I'm really into run on single core engines, like Rust or VRChat. I've asked around in several other forums for a build around the i7-9700k, but people have pointed me to the R5 3600 over the i7-9700k which has gain my interest. I've read that the R5 3600 single core performance is comparable to the i5-9600 (non-k), but with no single core game benchmarks to look towards, its difficult to say whether its true or not.

I'd be happy if anyone could provide benchmarks of their R5 3600 and/or their i7-9700k while limiting them to a single core through task manager. It would help give me an idea of where they stand.

Benchmarks for the i5-9600k aren't necessary, as its more for my curiosity on how the R5 3600 compares to it.

Last edited:
Solution
Of those three CPUs, it isn't even a question. The 9700k is easily the best choice, but that doesn't mean the others can't be a GOOD choice, when balanced against what you actually NEED or can afford to buy based on whether the difference in price between the 9700k and other options is something that might be better put towards other areas of the build or other upgrades.

There DEFINITELY ARE situations where you would ABSOLUTELY "notice the difference" between the 9700k and the other two, but they are specific situations on specific titles and might be tremendously influenced by what your graphics card model is, quality settings, memory capability, internet connection speed, etc.
Aug 20, 2020
The single core performance rating for all of those CPUs is fairly closely grouped, and is almost entirely differentiated by clock speed. The higher clock speed on the Intel 9700k is primarily where it distances itself in single core.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...l-i5-9600K-vs-Intel-i7-9700K/3481vs3337vs3335

Any of them is a good choice for gaming.
True that clock speeds have strong impacts to single core performance as well as resolutions higher than 1080p seem to close the gap for performance difference. I play on a 1440p and performance between the two should still be notable. I'm still leaning towards the i7-9700k.

I've used that site before, but stopped because of rumors saying its unreliable.

Yeah, both are good options. I'm just curious to see the difference in the performance these cpus offer after hearing the constant recommendation of the R5 3600. Maybe the difference is just small enough to where I may end up going toward the R5 3600.

If you can get a great price on the 9700K thru CPU/mainboard combo sales, etc., it is of course a great gaming performer...; given equal or even similar pricing with 10th gen, I'd attempt gravitate to the 10700K unless saving about $200 or so...

The R5-3600 roughly matches the 8700K in gaming. Not bad, but, the 9700K and 10600K and above are all a bit faster in 1080P gaming

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I'm currently trying to find the difference between the R5 3600, the i5-9600k and the i7-9700k. So far the only sources for single core benchmarks are CineBenchs, but I'm not entirely sure how those results translate to gaming performance. Currently trying to upgrade from an i7-4790k. I was also considering in looking into the i5-10600k, but from the i5-10600k benchmarks that I've seen have skipped straight into result charts and not show gameplay with a graph that says how many cores/threads were being used during the benchmarks. So I can only assume the i5-10600k's similar performance to the i7-9700k is due more to the hyperthreading than the 6 cores. There's also a lot of issues around the 1200 lga motherboards, so I've lost interested in the Comet Lake CPU series line.

The reason as to why I'm trying to find single core performance is because the games I'm really into run on single core engines, like Rust or VRChat. I've asked around in several other forums for a build around the i7-9700k, but people have pointed me to the R5 3600 over the i7-9700k which has gain my interest. I've read that the R5 3600 single core performance is comparable to the i5-9600 (non-k), but with no single core game benchmarks to look towards, its difficult to say whether its true or not.

I'd be happy if anyone could provide benchmarks of their R5 3600 and/or their i7-9700k while limiting them to a single core through task manager. It would help give me an idea of where they stand.

Benchmarks for the i5-9600k aren't necessary, as its more for my curiosity on how the R5 3600 compares to it.
Intel is gonna have a slight edge, but I can pretty much guarantee you wouldn't notice the difference between these 3. Get the cheapest and put the rest into the GPU

Of those three CPUs, it isn't even a question. The 9700k is easily the best choice, but that doesn't mean the others can't be a GOOD choice, when balanced against what you actually NEED or can afford to buy based on whether the difference in price between the 9700k and other options is something that might be better put towards other areas of the build or other upgrades.

There DEFINITELY ARE situations where you would ABSOLUTELY "notice the difference" between the 9700k and the other two, but they are specific situations on specific titles and might be tremendously influenced by what your graphics card model is, quality settings, memory capability, internet connection speed, etc.

Solution