Differences between Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Core i3 and Core i5-6xx

Differences between Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Core i3 and Core i5-6x series

This is only for show the differences between those CPUs, and a little guide to chose ur CPU but if u want know what is the best CPU for ur rig, create a thread with ur specific question, the main purpose of the rig, the components that u want install and the budget that u have for the build.

Let’s start:

1- The main and basic difference u can see it in the socket, the Dual Core and Core 2 Duo processors are socket 775 that are 65nm or 45nm depending of the model that u select, while the Core i3 and Core i5 are socket 1156 both Core i3 and Corei5 are 32nm. Here u can find an exception to the rule in the Intel G6950 that is a dual core, but socket 1156 and 32nm.

intel-dual-core.jpg

intel-core-2-duo-logo-new.jpg

i3_i5.jpg

2- When u have a 775 socket, this use more power and produces more heat, also is more old that the new 1156 socket. Usually the 775 socket are DD2, but u can find some of this that works with both DDR2 and DDR3, while the Core i3 and Core i5 only works with DDR3.

chart-24.jpg

I don't trust much in Hardware Canucks, but is only for the comparative just focus in the Core 2 Duo and core i5.

3- Component price is another important point here, it’s obvious that the 775 socket is more cheap and the components like mobo and DDR2 are more cheap too, but don’t have sense build a new rig with old components, u also can find expensive components for the 775 rig, but why spend more money in old components?

Since many people from here buy from the egg, IMO is one of the best sites to look for components: Newegg

4- Performance, all those have two cores, but not all those have the same threads number, the socket 775 (Dual core and Core 2 Duo) have two cores and two threads while the Core i3 and Core i5 have two cores BUT four threads.

You can find many performance charts in the web, is very easy look for it. See here

5- Both Core i5 and Core i3 support Hyper-Threading Technology while the Dual Core and Core 2 Duo don’t support this feature. Hyper-threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a hyper-threading processor to appear as two "logical" processors to the host operating system, allowing the operating system to schedule two threads or processes simultaneously, here is where the thread power of the Core i3 and Core i3 is showed.

If u need more specific information here are the main pages of the CPUs.

Core i5
Core i3
Core 2 Duo
Dual Core

Come back to the forum for specific information and advices about what CPU u need for ur rig.

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

I see, thanks.

Don't forget to mention that the Core i5s have Turbo Boost too, while the Core i3 doesn't. Also, you might like to note that the Core i3 series have the same amount of cache as the Core i5 600 series.

Here is the following speed modes for the Core i5 600 series (all speeds in bold are stock, and speeds in italics are maximum stock speeds with Turbo Boost):

Core i5 650 - 3.20 GHz to 3.46 GHz
Core i5 660 - 3.33 GHz to 3.6 GHz
Core i5 661 - 3.33 GHz to 3.6 GHz, this chip has a TDP of 87W unlike the Pentium G6950, Core i3 & Core i5 600 range which have a TDP of 73W.
Core i5 670 - 3.46 GHz to 3.73 GHz

(They all have an approximate max boost of 266 MHz.)

Graphic chip speeds:

Pentium G6950 - 533 MHz
Core i3 530 - 733 MHz
Core i3 540 - 733 MHz
Core i5 650 - 733 MHz
Core i5 660 - 733 MHz
Core i5 661 - 900 MHz (the reason why it has the higher TDP)
Core i5 670 - 733 MHz

Note that the Core i5 750 is a true quad core without Hyper-Threading, but with Turbo Boost and 8MB cache. It does not have integrated graphics either, unlike the processors mentioned above. To use the graphics on the CPUs above you will need a motherboard based on the H55, H57 or Q57 chipset.

The Pentium G6950, Core i3 540 & Core i5 660 have embedding options available, I'm supposing this means that the chip can be embedded into the motherboard.
Also, the Pentium G6950 only has 3MB of cache, compared to the Core i3 and Core i5 600 series which have 4MB of cache.

The Pentium G6950 does not have Hyper-Threading or Turbo Boost.

Also when most brochures and advertisements refer to a desktop or laptop which has an Intel dual core processor, it is usually one of the Pentium dual core brands, not the 32nm G6950 but the 45nm E5000/E6000 for desktops, and the T4000 series for laptops. The T3000 series are mobile Celeron dual core CPUs, and anything above the T5000 range are 65nm Core 2 Duo CPUs.

Here is the general sum up of info regarding desktop Core 2 generation dual core Intel CPUs:

Name - Series No. - Cache - Manufacturing Process - VT-x (Virtualisation support)

Celeron - E1000 - 512KB - 65nm - No
Pentium - E2000 - 1MB - 65nm - No
Celeron - E3000 - 1MB - 45nm - Yes
Core 2 Duo - E4000 - 2MB - 65nm - No
Pentium - E5000 - 2MB - 45nm - No
Core 2 Duo - E6000 - 4MB - 65nm - Yes
Pentium E6000 - 2MB - 45nm - Yes
Core 2 Duo - E7000 - 3MB - 45nm - Only for E7400 (SLGW3 SPEC), E7500 (SLGTE SPEC), E7600 CPUs
Core 2 Duo - E8000 - 6MB - 45nm - Yes

The Pentium range as far as mobiles are concerned are the majority of the time, slower than the Core 2 Duo CPUs.

Here is the general sum up of info regarding mobile Core 2 generation dual core Intel CPUs:

Name - Series No. - Cache - Manufacturing Process - VT-x (Virtualisation support)

Celeron - T3000 - 1MB - 45nm - No
Pentium - T4000 - 1MB - 45nm - No
Core 2 Duo - T5000/6000 - 2MB - 65nm - No
Core 2 Duo - T7000 - 4MB - 65nm - Yes
Core 2 Duo - T8000 - 3MB - 45nm - Yes
Core 2 Duo - T9000 - 6MB - 45nm - Yes

Here is Intel's letter scheme for their CPUs (from notebookcheck.net)

QX - Desktop or mobile quad core extreme performance processors
X - Desktop or mobile dual core extreme performance processors
Q - Desktop quad core high performance processors
E - Desktop energy efficient dual core processors with TDP ≥ 55W
T - Mobile highly energy efficient processors with TDP 30-39W
P - Mobile CPU with max. TDP 25W
L - Mobile highly energy efficient with TDP 12-19W
U - Mobile ultra high energy efficient with TDP ≤ 11.9W

Now, with current Core iX generation of mobile CPUs, the convention is a bit different. Processors in bold are produced in 32nm and have integrated graphics, processors in italics, 45nm.

Core i3 300M series - dual core with Hyper-Threading, 3MB cache
Core i5 400M series - dual core with Hyper-Threading, 3MB cache, max ~ 266 MHz Turbo Boost
Core i5 500M series - dual core with Hyper-Threading, 3MB cache, max ~ 532 MHz Turbo Boost
Core i7 600M series - dual core with Hyper-Threading, 4MB cache, max ~ 665 MHz Turbo Boost

Core i7 700QM series - quad core with Hyper-Threading, 6MB cache, max ~ 1197 MHz Turbo Boost
Core i7 800QM series - quad core with Hyper-Threading, 8MB cache, max ~ 1330 MHz Turbo Boost
Core i7 900XM series - quad core with Hyper-Threading, 8MB cache, max ~ 1197 MHz Turbo Boost

The graphics base frequency is 500 MHz and the graphics max dynamic frequency is 766 MHz on all mobile chips 32nm Core iX chips, however with the Core i3 300M series, the graphics max dynamic frequency is only 667 MHz (max dynamic frequency is, I'm supposing, the same as Turbo Boost but with the graphic chip).

vimal992

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
what is the advantage of embedded chip like Core i3 540 & Core i5 660 ??? does it make any difference in price or performance??

Technically speaking, 'Nehalem' really refers to any processor based on the Core iX architecture, the Core i5 750 is still considered a Nehalem processor. However, 32nm Nehalem based CPUs are called 'Westmere' instead, like the Pentium G6950, Core i3 & Core i5 600 series, although they really are just Nehalem CPUs.

surda

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
to put it All-In-One

I5 7xx are quad cores without hyper threading (with turbo)
I5 6xx are dual core with hyper threading (with Turbo)
I3 5xx are dual cores with hyper threading (without Turbo)
core 2 duo are dual cores without hyper threading (without Turbo)
Dual Core are dual cores without hyper threading (without Turbo)

one thing to keep in mind, is that the Ixx is a new architecture and it is more efficient and faster clock-per-clock than the core 2 and dual cores architecture.

vimal992

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

whats the advantage of embedded chips over non embedded ones??price??perforamance??

There is no difference in performance with an embedded chip. Like already said an embedded chip is physically part of the motherboard. You will not find too many personal computers with an embedded chip. Usually embedded chips are in other electronics that need processing power for whatever reason.

Wiki Definition
An embedded system is a computer system designed to perform one or a few dedicated functions[1][2] often with real-time computing constraints. It is embedded as part of a complete device often including hardware and mechanical parts. By contrast, a general-purpose computer, such as a personal computer (PC), is designed to be flexible and to meet a wide range of end-user needs. Embedded systems control many devices in common use today.[3]
Embedded systems are controlled by one or more main processing cores that are typically either microcontrollers or digital signal processors (DSP).[4] The key characteristic, however, is being dedicated to handle a particular task, which may require very powerful processors. For example, air traffic control systems may usefully be viewed as embedded, even though they involve mainframe computers and dedicated regional and national networks between airports and radar sites. (Each radar probably includes one or more embedded systems of its own.)
Since the embedded system is dedicated to specific tasks, design engineers can optimize it to reduce the size and cost of the product and increase the reliability and performance. Some embedded systems are mass-produced, benefiting from economies of scale.
Physically, embedded systems range from portable devices such as digital watches and MP3 players, to large stationary installations like traffic lights, factory controllers, or the systems controlling nuclear power plants. Complexity varies from low, with a single microcontroller chip, to very high with multiple units, peripherals and networks mounted inside a large chassis or enclosure.
In general, "embedded system" is not a strictly definable term, as most systems have some element of extensibility or programmability. For example, handheld computers share some elements with embedded systems such as the operating systems and microprocessors which power them, but they allow different applications to be loaded and peripherals to be connected. Moreover, even systems which don't expose programmability as a primary feature generally need to support software updates. On a continuum from "general purpose" to "embedded", large application systems will have subcomponents at most points even if the system as a whole is "designed to perform one or a few dedicated functions", and is thus appropriate to call "embedded".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system

shovenose

Distinguished
muahahahahahahaha well done. but could you please add pentium d cpus? based on the netburst archtiecture, its basically 1 chip with 2 p4s on it. these are the worst dual-cores, run hot, need lots of power, and dont perform very well.
pentium dual-cores are based on the core2 architecture, basically watered down core 2 duos. and celeron dual-cores are even more watered-down than the penitum dual-cores though they are based on the same architecture (core 2)

Yes, because the integrated GPU on the H55, H57 and Q57 motherboards come from the CPU, and only the Pentium G6950, Core i3 and Core i5 600 series have a built in GPU on the CPU. The i5 750 does not have an integrated GPU and thus you'll need to buy a discrete graphics card. Doesn't have to be anything powerful, an HD 4350 or so will suffice if you're not gaming.

razychowdhury

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
i collect a gpu xfx ati radeon 4650 hd with this PC.
can i play modern warfair 2 , gta IV , sniper ghost warrior & many of this type game??

razychowdhury

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
i collect a gpu xfx ati radeon 4650 hd with this PC.
can i play modern warfair 2 , gta IV , sniper ghost warrior & many of this type game??
is there any proble for it??
can i use 2 gpu at a time in this pc??

The ATi Radeon HD 4650 should run those games on low to medium settings at playable framerates. If you use that motherboard you cannot really use another GPU to gain extra performance.

TRENDING THREADS