[SOLVED] differences between HyperX and Ballistix Ram

Solution
They should both work.

If you are adding the RAM. I'd go with Crucial. Since it already has Crucial. There's less chance of compatibility issues. Although there is no guarantee of compatibility with existing RAM or lower than expected speed when adding RAM. Crucial has a better chance since Crucial (micron) actually makes memory. But it would be best when adding Cruical RAM to use the exact same model number. Which you may get off your existing module.

If you are replacing. The HyperX has slightly lower CAS Latency. It could be a hair faster. But if the laptop only supports up to 2400Mhz and specific timings. It doesn't matter as either would end up at the same speed. If replacing you may find some Samsung or SK Hynix for less. Those...
They should both work.

If you are adding the RAM. I'd go with Crucial. Since it already has Crucial. There's less chance of compatibility issues. Although there is no guarantee of compatibility with existing RAM or lower than expected speed when adding RAM. Crucial has a better chance since Crucial (micron) actually makes memory. But it would be best when adding Cruical RAM to use the exact same model number. Which you may get off your existing module.

If you are replacing. The HyperX has slightly lower CAS Latency. It could be a hair faster. But if the laptop only supports up to 2400Mhz and specific timings. It doesn't matter as either would end up at the same speed. If replacing you may find some Samsung or SK Hynix for less. Those heatspreaders are usually just for show anyways, especially laptop RAM. The boring looking ones will work just fine. They'll be hidden away anyways.

Solution
Feb 4, 2021
They should both work.

If you are replacing. The HyperX has slightly lower CAS Latency. It could be a hair faster. But if the laptop only supports up to 2400Mhz and specific timings. It doesn't matter as either would end up at the same speed. If replacing you may find some Samsung or SK Hynix for less. Those heatspreaders are usually just for show anyways, especially laptop RAM. The boring looking ones will work just fine. They'll be hidden away anyways.
Thank you for your reply.
Right now yes, I will add ram into my laptop. It only have 4GB soldered. I know that it can support speed up to 2133Mhz and I think it doesn't support XMP.
Yea, I didn't see any Samsung or SK Hynix rams in stores here. Just not sure where to look online for genuine. Are they cheaper?

Probably soon, I am getting Lenovo gaming L340-15IRH but it only has one ram slot and 8GB in it. I checked on some videos and found out that it's Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD with CL19. So that's why I need to get a powerful 16GB Ram so I can use it in my next laptop.

I am thinking to go for Crucial Ballistix, but I am not sure why it has so many bad reviews regarding XMP. Some of them suggesting to get Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM with CL19 instead.
Maybe I should avoid XMP ram's?

Your laptop won't make use of XMP. Outside of some gaming laptops. XMP is pretty pointless. The SPD is what you need to worry about.

As RAM is soldered in. You'll be limited to the speed of the built in RAM.

Samsung and Hynix RAM is generally sold for OEM use. Generally you find it on Amazon and eBay in the US. Sometimes it's cheaper.

Feb 4, 2021
Your laptop won't make use of XMP. Outside of some gaming laptops. XMP is pretty pointless. The SPD is what you need to worry about.

As RAM is soldered in. You'll be limited to the speed of the built in RAM.

Samsung and Hynix RAM is generally sold for OEM use. Generally you find it on Amazon and eBay in the US. Sometimes it's cheaper.
I see. Thank you for your reply.
L340 doesn't have a built in memory.
The one I'm using right now it does.

Is it good that are OEM? I read that they don't include a package.

I am not sure if L340 supports XMP. So if the laptop doesn't support XMP the speed is lower?
For example, for the Ballistix and probably for HyperX seems that most people had lower speed (2400 MHz instead of 2666) due to XMP.
That's the reason maybe it's better to get a standard one.

Also another question is what happens to the advertised CL if the RAM speed is down clocked?