Differences between SD card handling Windows 7 and 10

perlachez

Commendable
Jan 23, 2019
We use (retail 1 and 2 GB) SD cards for a specific purpose in a non consumer device.

The cards are "prepared" by an application that we have running in Windows 7 and then placed in the device. We have been doing this daily for years without problems.

We are now upgrading to new Windows 10 laptops and our device now triggers an error, it will no longer read the SD card.

• - Tested multiple Windows 10 laptops and desktops, it never works. Tested with external SD readers/writers as well, it works on Win7 but not on 10.
    - In other devices everything seems fine. We can use the SD card on the Win10 laptop and read and write to it. We can swap between 7 and 10 without problems. It only fails to work with our non consumer device.
    - We tested enabling registry setting "DisableRemovableDriveIndexing" to no avail
    - The application is Windows 10 compatible, we have no other issues
    - The supplier of the application and device has been researching this for some time now but nothing so far
    - Formatted the SD cards (FAT, 32KB unit size) same as on Win7

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to tell me if you know of any differences in the way an SD card is treated on Win10 compared to Win7. We have been researching this and so far I only found the above registry setting that Win10 uses to index external drives for search purposes. But it didn't change anything for us.

Hope you can help!

perlachez

Commendable
Jan 23, 2019

Thanks Grobe, unfortunately I can only agree with you. However I did forget to mention that with other devices (different purpose) of the same supplier it does work. It is this specific combination that doesn't. Besides this it is an industry specific but still widely used application in Windows 10.

What I hope to find is some difference in the way win7 and win10 handles these cards. I created this thread as we have been waiting for the supplier for a long time now and in a last resort wanted to give this a try...

It is not a Windows issue in that sense of the word. If this topic does not belong here let me know...

No, it's ok to Post - but in general it is an advantage for the poster (i.e. greater chance of successful outcome) when the program name is known. Otherwise it's guessing.

btw : Have you tried to start your application in "Windows 7 mode" ?