Neck

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
Though I am pretty well versed when it comes to electronics, one thing I've never really known much about is sound. With many awesome games coming in the near future, many have suggested an upgrade in speakers to fully enjoy the gaming experience. But my question to you is this: will I really notice a difference between the speakers I currently have and the new, top-of-the-line speaker sets? I'm running on a SB Audigy 2ZS, and my speakers are Altec Lansing ACS54 4.1 speakers. Since they are pretty old and rare, let me post the specs:

Overall
--------
Total Audio Power.... 40 watts
THD.................. <0.8%@1 watt, 1 kHz
Input Sensitivity.... 300 mV for full output
Input Impedance...... >10K ohms
Frequency Response... 38 Hz - 18 kHz

Satellites
----------
Speakers (per satellite)... One 3 inch (75 mm)
Audio Power................ 5 Watts per channel
Frequency Response......... 250 Hz - 18 kHz
S/N Ratio.................. >65 dB

Subwoofer
---------
Speaker.............. One 4 inch (100 mm) long throw
Audio Power.......... 20 Watts
Frequency Repsonse... 38 Hz - 250 Hz

Power Requirements
------------------
USA/CANADA.............. 120 volts 60 Hz AC
Max Power Consumption... 120 Watts
UL/CUL/CE approved

So, will I notice a big difference if I upgrade to newer 5.1 speakers? And what are the benefits of digital over analog? Thanks ;)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
5.1 doesn't matter over 4.1. It adds a center channel for dialogs, which isn't that important to the directional sound. If you like your current speakers, you should keep them!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Neck

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
So there's not much difference in sound quality (for games) between 5.1 digital 70W speakers and my 4.1 analog 5W speakers?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Quality? More watts doesn't make more quality, it makes louder sound. Carnigy Hall was once powered by a 40W sound system of superior sensitivity.

If your speakers sound great, no need for better speaker. If your speakers are loud enough, no need for more power. As for the center channel, it does little.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
To answer your other question, Quality is a huge difference in he "high end" speakers

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I dont know how much sound quality matters to you. To me, thats what all matters. not power, not features. Once you're used to superb sound quality, you just cant stand the sound from average speakers/sound cards.

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
I dont want to go against crashman or anything but i think you should change your speakers I mean you have a nice sound card i mean if you were running like on board sound i'd also agree with crashman.
Get the logitech z640's at amazon brand new for 37 bucks shipped
there great speakers sound great and dount leave your wallet empty

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
look, if you have a regular stereosystem stashed somewhere it will blow any pc speakers to oblivion. The "readings" and Hz range and frequencies are a lot wider. If you have an AC3 or DTS reciever or just two normal stereos it will rock you (and your neighbours) away ;)

Of course as an investment it is a whole different alley, the thought were more of as in you-had-stereos-you'd-forgotten-about :=)

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/800 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b