Different App Different CPU

8procstooslow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Everybody is going on about which CPU is best
'Amd Rules', 'AMD sucks', 'Intel rules', 'AMD sucks'.
But knowbody is really saying which CPU is best for
which App.
IMHO I would recommend an AMD for generall use.
I.e. good Office performance, good gaming performance, etc
a very good alrounder.
The P4 from the benchmarks so far seems very well suited for
high bandwidth apps, and graphics (with SSE2 extentions).
Isn't it about time we just shut up about which CPU is best and just discussed what is the best CPU for our needs.

Just one question for the folks out there?
What will Intels next budged CPU be. The celeron is currently outclassed on all counts by the duron, yet I don't see any response so far from Intel, price or performance wise.

G

"What will Intels next budged CPU be. The celeron is currently outclassed on all counts by the duron, yet I don't see any response so far from Intel, price or performance wise."

Most likely a 0.13 micron P3. But then AMD will have Morgan (low-end Palomino) out earlier than that.

G

My Opinion:

Chip : What it's good for
--------------------------------
PIII :If you can make good use of x86 SMP it might be worthwhile. Might want to wait for SMP solutions for TBird or P4.

TBird : Anywhere price to performance ratio is important, but SMP isn't needed. Particularly floating point stuff.

P4 : Performance leader for the right apps. If you use those apps & have the cash. Go for it.

Duron : When price/performance is really critical you can't beat it.

Celeron : Nothing

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, it looks like .13 micron Pentium III (Tualatin) may be mainly reserved for Intel's mobile segment. Intel's latest roadmaps show they are going to be continuing with the Celeron line of processors. Of course the Tualatin will be very cheap compared to the Pentium 4, but since Intel will continue the Celeron, that will most likely remain their budget solution.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

G

I think a lot of the arguments going on in this forum is not which CPU is better but which PLATFORM is better. The motherboard chipset is just as important as the CPU. If a motherboard chipset has compatibility problems and is unstable then what good is that high-end cpu gonna do ya?

(A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?