[SOLVED] Different behavior with restarting after BIOS update ?

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hello. I have a Gigabyte x570 Xtreme motherboard. I bought it shortly after it was released. I was several bios versions behind, and recently updated to the latest version when installing Windows 11.

The latest update has fixed several things including a properly working XMP profile for my ram and now when I put windows into sleep mode, it doesn't wake itself up like it did on the older bois versions.

However, it's doing something different/odd now. It's not a huge issue, but when something different happens with my rig, I get intrigued.

Anytime when I am in windows and choose "reboot" it reboots differently then it use to. Normally, when it reboots, it does so where all the lights on the tower stay on, and it just boots back into windows without a full shot down. Now with this latest bios version, it fully shuts down. All the lights turn off as if I did a full shut down. It does come right back on and boots normally, but the entire motherboard and all LEDs go dark before it boots.

Is this normal?

Solution
Is this normal?
perfectly normal.
the fact that there is a slight difference now could just be that quick start/boot options may have been altered when updating the BIOS.

the fact that your system's Sleep Mode isn't functioning properly anymore would be a software issue with the OS, not the BIOS.
i've seen many instances where users would run into this and similar issues with Windows and the only way to fix them was to either restore the OS to a time prior to the corruption or reinstalling a fresh copy.
Is this normal?
perfectly normal.
the fact that there is a slight difference now could just be that quick start/boot options may have been altered when updating the BIOS.

the fact that your system's Sleep Mode isn't functioning properly anymore would be a software issue with the OS, not the BIOS.
i've seen many instances where users would run into this and similar issues with Windows and the only way to fix them was to either restore the OS to a time prior to the corruption or reinstalling a fresh copy.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
perfectly normal.

Thanks for the reply! My sleep mode is actually working properly now, to where it was not before I did the updates. I just recently did the fresh install of Windows 11, and then shortly after that did the BIOS update. I loaded optimized defaults and the only thing I changed was I turned on XMP profile and turned the boards LED's off because they don't work in sync with my corsair software. Everything else is the optimized defaults.

I started out with the original BIOS for the board, and only updated it once last year. So there have been over 6 BIOS versions since I started with this board. And with it being a Ryzen board, I figured the updates would be beneficial. So far everything has been rock solid, just that weird reboot ordeal.

Thanks for the reply!

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
UPDATE:

Ok, something else funky is going on here... It appears that anytime when I do a full shut down, the next time I boot it up, all the lights on the tower come on for a brief second, then the board cuts all power to everything for a brief moment, then it comes back on again. I am not sure what could be causing this, as I have the latest BIOS update, and again have everything set as optimized defaults with the except of XMP enabled and the boards main LED lights are turned off.

I even unplugged the PSU, hit the power buttons couple times to completely drain the power from the system, hit the 'clear cmos' button on the back, and then booted back up. I then went in, made my 2 changes (turned off LEDS and turned on XMP profile). It restarted like it normally does without cutting power and then turning back on. Anytime I did a restart after that, it would turn it self off for a second, then turn back on and boot. If I do a full shut down, the next time I hit the power button it again turns on for a brief moment, then cuts all power, then comes back on and boots.

This doesn't seem normal to me... any ideas?

Last edited:
It appears that anytime when I do a full shut down, the next time I boot it up, all the lights on the tower come on for a brief second, then the board cuts all power to everything for a brief moment, then it comes back on again...
This doesn't seem normal to me... any ideas?
from what it sounds like this is also perfectly normal.

many systems when starting up from a total shutdown will initially load all devices & LEDs with default settings.
as the boot sequence continues any personalized hardware settings & LED profiles will be initiated.
if no personal RGB profiles are saved then the system may re-initiate the default values with a short blackout possibly happening as this occurs.

if this sequence is taking an abnormally long time try re-loading optimized defaults in the BIOS and see if it makes any difference.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
I turned off the XMP profile, and it no longer does these odd power issues. The way that it is cutting power is not something I feel cozy with, so I am leaving XMP off until I can talk to gigabyte about it.

Now it no longer cuts power after I tunr it on from full shut downs and it reboots as well without cutting power.

TRENDING THREADS