[SOLVED] Different blue screens before startup

leapoz

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Hey, I built a PC for my little brother a little over a month ago, partially with new parts and partially with my old ones. The computer was perfectly fine for a while, I made sure that he doesn't download anything without me allowing him and showing him how to. Suddenly (about a week ago), his computer blue screened, so he restarted it and it blue screened again before even making it to the lock screen. Restart again, same thing, different error message. We did it a few times, I searched it up, and it seemed like it could be the CPU overheating. I replaced the thermal paste on it since I had forgotten to previously, and it continued to blue screen. The only difference now is that it seems to have the same 3 errors, and switches between them. They are listed below :

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Restarted the system 5 times, got the kernel error 3 times, and the other two once each. Does anybody know what the issue is or how I could fix it? The fix would need to be done externally since I can't get on the computer without it blue screening. Thanks for any help!

Solution
No problem my friend, I equally apologise for a delayed response but I have been away.

The problem is that Blue Screens are a windows only function. For example Linux users don't have "BSOD" but have "Kernel Panics" so the fact that you are hitting a Blue Screen would likely mean it's occuring as or just after windows is loading.

Memtest does not require a boot into the OS, if you go through the guide I linked above, it is a bootable USB program that runs before any OS loads. If you have issues during the MEMTEST, then we're likely looking at a hardware problem.

Equally you can always try to clean install over the current OS (if not done so already) and see if it is quite simply your OS that has become damaged.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
and it seemed like it could be the CPU overheating
If we're going off just the 3 bug checks you've described below, unfortunately this can be the danger of the internet. None of those 3 bug checks are often caused by overheating, typically this tends to come out as a WHEA code depending on what was happening at the time. Did you encounter WHEA issues before?

In addition to that EVERY single stop code is different, and have a variety of potential causes, which can be different in different systems. So in order to help further find the issue, we would likely need the dump files (described in my signature link below) however I doubt you will be able to access them.

Are you able to access safe mode normally?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
You say it happens before windows loads or only before the lock screen? I.e. do you always get past BIOS before it crashes?

Please list the ENTIRE system spec including PSU make and model.
In the meantime I'd be tempted to run memtest: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/test-ram-with-memtest-org-memtest86.24316/ just to verify RAM isn't a problem if it appears to be happening that quickly.

leapoz

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
If we're going off just the 3 bug checks you've described below, unfortunately this can be the danger of the internet. None of those 3 bug checks are often caused by overheating, typically this tends to come out as a WHEA code depending on what was happening at the time. Did you encounter WHEA issues before?

In addition to that EVERY single stop code is different, and have a variety of potential causes, which can be different in different systems. So in order to help further find the issue, we would likely need the dump files (described in my signature link below) however I doubt you will be able to access them.

Are you able to access safe mode normally?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
You say it happens before windows loads or only before the lock screen? I.e. do you always get past BIOS before it crashes?

Please list the ENTIRE system spec including PSU make and model.
In the meantime I'd be tempted to run memtest: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/test-ram-with-memtest-org-memtest86.24316/ just to verify RAM isn't a problem if it appears to be happening that quickly.
Sorry for the SUPER delayed reply, and thanks for the initial reply! Specs are listed below:

Case : Rosewill ATX
Motherboard : MSI 970 Gaming
CPU : AMD fx-8350
GPU : XFX Radeon RX 570 RS
PSU : EVGA 500 BR, 80+ Bronze 500W
CPU Cooler : Hyper 212 EVO
RAM : 1x 8gb HyperX Fury DDR3 + 1x 8gb unknown brand DDR3
Storage : ADATA SU760 512GB 3D NAND 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

I am not sure if there were any WHEA error codes before the issue arose, From what I have seen, it instantly shows the blue screen before BIOS seems to load, not entirely sure though. How would I go about running the memtest without being able to get on the computer?

Thanks, and please let me know if you need any more information.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No problem my friend, I equally apologise for a delayed response but I have been away.

The problem is that Blue Screens are a windows only function. For example Linux users don't have "BSOD" but have "Kernel Panics" so the fact that you are hitting a Blue Screen would likely mean it's occuring as or just after windows is loading.

Memtest does not require a boot into the OS, if you go through the guide I linked above, it is a bootable USB program that runs before any OS loads. If you have issues during the MEMTEST, then we're likely looking at a hardware problem.

Equally you can always try to clean install over the current OS (if not done so already) and see if it is quite simply your OS that has become damaged.

Solution
1x 8gb HyperX Fury DDR3 + 1x 8gb unknown brand DDR3

No part number, memory speed of HyperX. Might as well be unknown. Such a combination listed above would be prime suspect of crashes, not because the memory is bad, but because such combinations have no guarantee to be compatible when used together.

It appears the memory may not be compatible together. So the problem may be the users choice of memory.

leapoz

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
1x 8gb HyperX Fury DDR3 + 1x 8gb unknown brand DDR3

No part number, memory speed of HyperX. Might as well be unknown. Such a combination listed above would be prime suspect of crashes, not because the memory is bad, but because such combinations have no guarantee to be compatible when used together.

It appears the memory may not be compatible together. So the problem may be the users choice of memory.
I have attempted to download the memtest, it keeps saying corrupted when i put it on USB. I can get to the BIOS before the bluescreen, just have to do it very fast. Should I try taking out one stick of RAM and restarting? As I said before, I gave him these sticks of ram from my old PC, and they worked together at that time.

leapoz

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
I have attempted to download the memtest, it keeps saying corrupted when i put it on USB. I can get to the BIOS before the bluescreen, just have to do it very fast. Should I try taking out one stick of RAM and restarting? As I said before, I gave him these sticks of ram from my old PC, and they worked together at that time.
I tried taking out the HyperX stick of ram and leaving the other one by itself, still bluescreened. Make what you will of that.