Different CL Timing Rams works together?

noro24

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
hi guys

i do own G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 Intel Z170 PlatformTiming CL Timing 15-15-15-35

now i went to shop to buy another one, but they z170 platform ram got discontinued and there is new product with same specification with z270 platform and CL Timing 17-17-17-39

so my question both different CL timing rams works together? or i have to sell old one? and get 16 gb new kit

CPU - Intel i5 7500
MoBo - Asus Rog H270F gaming
GPU - Msi gtx 960
PSU - Antec 550w
Memory - Ripjaws 2400 8gbx1 CL Timing 15-15-15-35
Case - corsair spec-02

Solution
Ddr4 is ddr4. It's not specific to any platform like the Z170 or Z270. So really all you need look for is g-skill 2400 C15.

The real answer as to whether they'll play nice is maybe. There's only 1 guarantee about mixing ram from different kits, that being there are no guarantees. I've had identical ram that was only 10 serial numbers different be totally incompatible and I've had totally different ram from 2 different vendors work great. The only way to ever know for sure if mixed ram will work is to try it. The problem with that is you might end up going through ½ a dozen different kits trying, which really irritates the shop ppl with returns/refunds.

The best (and only) way to get your full 16Gb that's guaranteed to work, is buy it...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ddr4 is ddr4. It's not specific to any platform like the Z170 or Z270. So really all you need look for is g-skill 2400 C15.

The real answer as to whether they'll play nice is maybe. There's only 1 guarantee about mixing ram from different kits, that being there are no guarantees. I've had identical ram that was only 10 serial numbers different be totally incompatible and I've had totally different ram from 2 different vendors work great. The only way to ever know for sure if mixed ram will work is to try it. The problem with that is you might end up going through ½ a dozen different kits trying, which really irritates the shop ppl with returns/refunds.

The best (and only) way to get your full 16Gb that's guaranteed to work, is buy it in a single kit. That's factory tested, so you won't have to go through testing, and possibly adjusting timings or voltages or both to get compliance.

So that's my suggestion. Buy new, sell old.

Solution

noro24

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Thanks