Different G.Skill Trident sticks work together?

Nov 2, 2018
Hello. I'm currently looking at adding more RAM and my current sticks are no longer sold. Originally i have got these installed.
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-2400C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

But looking at
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

Not sure what the difference is, 2400C and 3000C, but hoping they could work together? Save's me trying to hunt down old ram, or buying even more new sticks :/

So just asking if they will still work together like normal?

Nov 2, 2018

So the 2400 and 3000 part are the speeds. Good to know, probably better and cheaper to try find some of the old one's then if new one's will just be downgraded.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

Sometimes increasing the ram voltage in the bios will make things work.

If you want 32gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 16gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 16gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

Nov 2, 2018

Seems very weird that adding 2 more of the same brand/type of sticks would cause a problem. Even in that event, is there a way to actually test all of it is running as should be? So if/when i get more and add it, i can make sure it's working fine?