Question Different HDMI inputs provide slightly different images ?

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
My monitor has these two inputs:

z1L7wjU.jpg

input 2 gives me this image (took the picture with my phone since screenshots did not work, so I don't know if its possible to see the difference through them):

8RyzzNF.jpg

input 1 gives me this image:

6QVA516.jpg

It is a subtle difference, but it is there. I can't describe it exactly. It feels like the image from input 2 is in a smaller resolution, but the problem seems to be with the colors. There seems to be a "red shadow" around letters. And stuff in red seem slightly blurred. And in general the image does not feel right. Image from input 1 feels more clear overall. I tried messing with all the options, but could not make the two images equal

Moreover, input 1, with the (DVI) thing, has less options than 2:

HQmEGBg.jpg

HmnulaI.jpg

Does anyone know how to make the image from input 2 equal to the image from input 1?

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
It was already set to RGB. But the dynamic range was set to limited, and setting it to Full changed the image a little. It turns out the theses shadows I am talking about were angle-dependent. That is, looking from below, they were visible, but not from above. Here are two pictures from the same input with the same config so you can understand:

k5d8xeJ.jpg

jrtx2v1.jpg

So, after I set the dynamic range to full, those red shadows disappeared completely. But the image from input 2 still fells washed out in general. I tried using the 1080i resolutions, but did not help

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Color shift based on viewing angle is a physical characteristic of the panel, it is normal for certain panel types.

The image settings on the monitor may be independent for each input, make sure they are the same.

As I said, the number of options available for input 1 are limited. I cannot access the grayed out options:

HmnulaI.jpg

Input 2 has a ton of more options than 1:

qFCtCzu.jpg

The options that are available to both inputs I set to same values, but the images displayed are still different

My monitor
not a monitor, but a TV+monitor combo, thats different
but you could also read manuals for your TV, here small note on page 20:
NOTE
For PC connection, you must use the HDMI IN 1(DVI) jack.

page21:
SOURCE → TOOLS → Edit Name → ENTER
E
In the Source, press the TOOLS button, and then you can
set an external input sources name you want.

When connecting a PC to the HDMI IN 1 (DVI) port
with HDMI cable, you should set the TV to PC mode
under Edit Name.

as for those greyed out settings on your TV OSD menu, well you can configure those settings in your GPU driver control panel

Last edited:
Reactions: muguetsu