[SOLVED] Different manufacturers crossfire?

Apr 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am an utter beginner into buying parts for computer, so I am not sure if I can crossfire an asus r9 280x with sapphire r9 280x vapor-x tri-x OC. I already own the latter so, I was trying to figure out if I got the asus r9 280x would that work?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes, it should. Just have to be matching GPUs. And on those older cards, matching GPU family. You could also use any R9-280, but then it treats both cards as R9-280. They stopped allowing that after the 200 series I believe.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it should. Just have to be matching GPUs. And on those older cards, matching GPU family. You could also use any R9-280, but then it treats both cards as R9-280. They stopped allowing that after the 200 series I believe.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Crossfire support varies by game, some games you will get little to no performance boost. You can also have problems with micro stuttering. General consensus is that multi GPU support in games has been steadily getting worse. Usual advice is to get the single strongest card you can. Consider what sort of card you could get for the price of the two 280Xs + 1000W PSU.

With that motherboard the 2nd card will be limited to PCIe 2.0 x4, or 1/8th the bandwidth it would normally get. That might further impact crossfire performance.

Apr 18, 2019
Crossfire support varies by game, some games you will get little to no performance boost. You can also have problems with micro stuttering. General consensus is that multi GPU support in games has been steadily getting worse. Usual advice is to get the single strongest card you can. Consider what sort of card you could get for the price of the two 280Xs + 1000W PSU.

With that motherboard the 2nd card will be limited to PCIe 2.0 x4, or 1/8th the bandwidth it would normally get. That might further impact crossfire performance.
So, I should go for a single better card? But that means that my current 280x would be of no use... right? Sorry I am just asking too many questions.