[SOLVED] Different memory brands

hack3rcon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello,
I have an Asus motherboard model "P8B75-M". My current memory is 2X4GB Corsair DDR3 and motherboard can support 32GB of memory. If I use 2X4GB memory of other brands then can it hurt my system? How about memories with different size? For example, one slot 4GB and other 8GB.

Thank you.

Solution
Assuming that the extra 2gb sticks play nice, with your 8gb(not 100% guaranteed) you want to balance the capacity across two channels.
Currently you have 4gb in slot 1 and 4gb in slot 3. slot 1 and slot 3 should be on different channels.
There will only be 2 channels for the motherboard.
Putting 2gb in slot 2 and 2gb in slot 4 will result in a total of 12gb, all operating in dual channel mode
It won't "hurt" your system, but you stand a very good chance that it won't "work" together, or "play nice" with each other.

There are never any guarantees when it comes to memory unless the memory all comes together in a set. Anything other than that and you are just rolling the dice. It can work, but it can just as easily not work. Your best bet is ALWAYS to buy ALL of the memory you need, in one set, so that it all of the sticks have been tested to work together at the factory.

hack3rcon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
It won't "hurt" your system, but you stand a very good chance that it won't "work" together, or "play nice" with each other.

There are never any guarantees when it comes to memory unless the memory all comes together in a set. Anything other than that and you are just rolling the dice. It can work, but it can just as easily not work. Your best bet is ALWAYS to buy ALL of the memory you need, in one set, so that it all of the sticks have been tested to work together at the factory.
Thank you.
If I use 2X8GB for two empty slots then?
2 slots have 2X4GB Corsair.
2 slot have 2X8GB Kingston.

That is not a model number. Like I said before, anytime you add two different kinds of memory together, it might or it might not work. So yes, it can cause problems.

The only way to be SURE that you won't have any problems is to ONLY use memory that comes together in one kit. If you are going to use ONLY the Kingston memory and not use your old memory with it, and if the memory is compatible with your system based on the type of memory and the speed, then it should be fine.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
CPU-Z will tell you what you have now.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

And to answer your question, ram of different sizes can work in what is called flex mode.
The matching capacity will operate in dual channel mode, and the odd capacity will operate in single channel mode.

hack3rcon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
CPU-Z will tell you what you have now.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

And to answer your question, ram of different sizes can work in what is called flex mode.
The matching capacity will operate in dual channel mode, and the odd capacity will operate in single channel mode.
Thank you.
I will post a screenshot of CPU-Z.
My motherboard have 4 slots. The slot 1 and slot 3 have 2X4GB and I want to fill slot 2 and slot 4 with 2X2GB.
In this scenario, the slots 1 and 3 are dual channel and slot 2 and slot 4 too?

Assuming that the extra 2gb sticks play nice, with your 8gb(not 100% guaranteed) you want to balance the capacity across two channels.
Currently you have 4gb in slot 1 and 4gb in slot 3. slot 1 and slot 3 should be on different channels.
Putting 2gb in slot 2 and 2gb in slot 4 will result in a total of 12gb, all operating in dual channel mode

Solution

hack3rcon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Thus, Is this scenario OK?