Different Model Numbers Work In SLI?

ortoch

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I currently own a GV-R685GD-1GD that runs the AMD Radeon HD 6850 GPU which I love but I would like to run SLI on it rather than buying a new video card. My question is does anyone know where I can find another card of that model number? Secondly I have found a card with model number GV-R685OC-1GD that runs the same AMD Radeon HD 6850 GPU that I can purchase, will this card run in SLI with the other card?

I looked at Gigabyte's website and the cards have slightly different clock speeds but have the same chip set and model so I was confused as to what the requirements for SLI are.

Thanks in advance,

James

Solution
No, you cannot use those disparate cards in a Crossfire set up. You can Crossfire an HD6850 with an HD6870 or you could Crossfire an HD7950 with an HD7970.

Here is an AMD Crossfire Compatibility Chart:

AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Should run just fine. The faster card will slow down to the slower card's specs. For AMD cards, they don't need to be identical cards (They do need to be very similar, however). An HD6850 will Crossfire with an HD6870 as well as another HD6850.

P.S. For AMD cards, it's called CrossfireX. For NVidia Cards, it's called SLI.

-Wolf sends

ortoch

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

So based on this statement and the two other replies could I buy a new Radeon 7950 or 7970 would there be a way to run the current 6850 in crossfirex mode with it or would two cards that disparate in specs not serve and gain in crossfire?