[SOLVED] Different modems/routers?

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Hey guys, so before I start I just wanted to say: please don't roast me if I get anything wrong, because I'm just getting into netwroking.
So, I have a 3-story house, and my modem is on the top floor, and my PC is on the middle floor, but my TV is on my bottom floor. Since i stream a lot of videos on my TV, I have a repeater on the second floor, so I can get good Internet on my TV. The problem here is that the repeater is pretty far away from my PC, so I get horrible Internet speed, but I have a telephone plug in my room, so I was asking myself if I could use it and plug it into a router, even thought I've heard that you can only have 1 router connected in the same house. So before I do anything stupid i would like some advice from people that have more experience than me. Thanks!
Btw I also have a network switch, in case that can help in any way

Solution
It called search around the house and see what you can find. The panels are normally in a closet or garage.

A clue would be to take some of the jacks out and see if there is 1 cable or 2 cables (note a cable has multiple wires). If there is only a single cable there likely is a central location. If there are 2 they likely are daisy chained.
Ok ,I fixed it!
The solutuon was to buy an extra repeater and put a lan cable into that. This can only work if you have a Mesh system in your wifi.

Lutfij

Titan
An RJ45 connector is different from a phone plug unless you're working with a service where the phone also provides your internet via RJ45 connection. Ideally you should invest in a router that is located at the middle of your 3 storied house and is located centrally on the floor plan so you have all devices falling into it's range.

If you're wondering about connecting the router to the net, you need to connect the modem to the router. Might want to share the make and model of the modem and if possible the ISP you're working with.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
An RJ45 connector is different from a phone plug unless you're working with a service where the phone also provides your internet via RJ45 connection. Ideally you should invest in a router that is located at the middle of your 3 storied house and is located centrally on the floor plan so you have all devices falling into it's range.

If you're wondering about connecting the router to the net, you need to connect the modem to the router. Might want to share the make and model of the modem and if possible the ISP you're working with.
So, I have an RJ11 plug, and in Italy where I live, so this could cause some confusion: my PC needs RJ45 (duh), so at the back of the router there's usually an included switch, so that's not a problem; the problem here is connecting the router to the RJ11, and seeing if that even can provide Internet.
My ISP is TIM (pretty much Telecom) and my router on the 3rd floor is an AVM FRITZ!Box 7530
Edit: I forgot to mention I have a DSL connection, but you could have guessed that considering the router I have works only with DSL. Question: what's the difference between ADSL and DSL?

It is not the plug that is the problem it is the wires behind it. You can in some cases replace the rj11 with rj45.

Rj11 is almost always used telephone. Telephone they connect all the jacks in the house together. Ethernet is point to point with say a switch on one end and a pc on the other.

SO if you are very lucky and the wire behind the jacks is ethernet cable you might be able to use it. This will not work if they used the daisy chain method where they run the cable room to room hooking up the jacks. You need all the phone cables to go back to some central location.

I will leave you to do some searching and there are lots of people on this forum that can help you re wire it if it goes back to a central location.

If not then I would consider powerline network devices. Since it uses the electrical wires it does not have issues with things like concrete walls blocking the signal like wifi does.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
It is not the plug that is the problem it is the wires behind it. You can in some cases replace the rj11 with rj45.

Rj11 is almost always used telephone. Telephone they connect all the jacks in the house together. Ethernet is point to point with say a switch on one end and a pc on the other.

SO if you are very lucky and the wire behind the jacks is ethernet cable you might be able to use it. This will not work if they used the daisy chain method where they run the cable room to room hooking up the jacks. You need all the phone cables to go back to some central location.

I will leave you to do some searching and there are lots of people on this forum that can help you re wire it if it goes back to a central location.

If not then I would consider powerline network devices. Since it uses the electrical wires it does not have issues with things like concrete walls blocking the signal like wifi does.
Is there a way of checking if they all go the central location?

It called search around the house and see what you can find. The panels are normally in a closet or garage.

A clue would be to take some of the jacks out and see if there is 1 cable or 2 cables (note a cable has multiple wires). If there is only a single cable there likely is a central location. If there are 2 they likely are daisy chained.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019

Ok ,I fixed it!
The solutuon was to buy an extra repeater and put a lan cable into that. This can only work if you have a Mesh system in your wifi.

Solution