[SOLVED] Different network performance in different pcs from the same wifi

May 10, 2021
Hi, I recently got an optiplex 9020 (win10 not activated), up till now I've been using a dell laptop (win 8.1).
I connected to the same wifi with the same wireless usb adaptor (TL-WN821N ) and I get different results.
Specifically I get stutters during online gaming on the new (better) pc which I definitely did NOT get on my (worse) laptop.
I believe I have installed all the necessary network and adaptor drivers.
Any thoughts where the problem might originate from?
Thank you in advance!

Solution
Thank you for your help. I mentioned the game because that's where I noticed the problem and was the comparison point between the devices. I witnessed the lag spikes running the command prompt ping test, that's why I'm tackling this from the network angle.
WIFI has so many variables. A neighbor causing interference, your mother streaming Netflix to a table, etc. That you have to move to a wired connection to your router before you can start eliminating possibilities.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I recently got an optiplex 9020 (win10 not activated), up till now I've been using a dell laptop (win 8.1).
I connected to the same wifi with the same wireless usb adaptor (TL-WN821N ) and I get different results.
Specifically I get stutters during online gaming on the new (better) pc which I definitely did NOT get on my (worse) laptop.
I believe I have installed all the necessary network and adaptor drivers.
Any thoughts where the problem might originate from?
Thank you in advance!
On a laptop the USB adapter would be on your desk. It is probably buried behind your new PC. That could impact the performance.
You could try a USB extension cable to move the adapter back to where it was when on the laptop.

May 10, 2021
On a laptop the USB adapter would be on your desk. It is probably buried behind your new PC. That could impact the performance.
You could try a USB extension cable to move the adapter back to where it was when on the laptop.
I have the adapter at the same place, it connects via usb cable

kanewolf

Titan
I have the adapter at the same place, it connects via usb cable
What does the network link rate show ? -- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-determine-wi-fi-and-ethernet-connection-speed-windows-10
Looking at that adapter, it will probably show 144Mbit.
That means that you would get a maximum of about 70Mbit performance -- probably closer to 50Mbit.

To eliminate the WIFI adapter, you need to test with a wired connection. That may mean temporarily running a long cable or moving the Optiplex closer to the router.

May 10, 2021
What does the network link rate show ? -- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-determine-wi-fi-and-ethernet-connection-speed-windows-10
Looking at that adapter, it will probably show 144Mbit.
That means that you would get a maximum of about 70Mbit performance -- probably closer to 50Mbit.

To eliminate the WIFI adapter, you need to test with a wired connection. That may mean temporarily running a long cable or moving the Optiplex closer to the router.
Through the control panel, the wifi speed is shown to be
130 Mbps on both the pc and laptop
testing with ethernet on the optiplex will be difficult due to the shape of my home, the position of the router and the fact that right now I don't have a long enough cable.
However I would like to learn why the seemingly same link rate seems to not deliver on the pc, don't know if the wired test will have anything to do with it but I will try it eventually.
Can you think of other possible causes?

kanewolf

Titan
Through the control panel, the wifi speed is shown to be
130 Mbps on both the pc and laptop
testing with ethernet on the optiplex will be difficult due to the shape of my home, the position of the router and the fact that right now I don't have a long enough cable.
However I would like to learn why the seemingly same link rate seems to not deliver on the pc, don't know if the wired test will have anything to do with it but I will try it eventually.
Can you think of other possible causes?
If you are getting the same link rate for both devices, I would look for other causes besides the WIFI.

I am not a gamer, so I can't comment on gaming issues.

May 10, 2021
If you are getting the same link rate for both devices, I would look for other causes besides the WIFI.

I am not a gamer, so I can't comment on gaming issues.
Thank you for your help. I mentioned the game because that's where I noticed the problem and was the comparison point between the devices. I witnessed the lag spikes running the command prompt ping test, that's why I'm tackling this from the network angle.

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI has so many variables. A neighbor causing interference, your mother streaming Netflix to a table, etc. That you have to move to a wired connection to your router before you can start eliminating possibilities.

Solution