[SOLVED] Different PC's - Data Transfer (Noob)

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I was just wondering, the gpu on my first pc started to die out, basically the screen and graphics are all glitchy. So I can't really see what I'm doing to back up the files.

So I went ahead and bought a new pc since the pc was incredibly old to begin with and well you know finding a gpu these days (amirite).

My first pc had a SSD with just windows on it and hard drive with all my pictures, documents etc.

If I take out the harddrive only from my first pc and plug it into my new pc can I transfer the files out? Could I also do this with the SSD that had windows on it? Just to double check the files on it.

I don't wana mess something up and corrupt the files or something.

Thank :)

Solution
For your main windows drive, it's usually a good idea to format it before transferring to a new pc, but your D drive, or HDD that only had pictures you can just yank out of the old one and put in the new one and it will keep everything normally.

(You actually don't HAVE to format the C drive, but it's recommended, and I've seen it cause many a problems.)
For your main windows drive, it's usually a good idea to format it before transferring to a new pc, but your D drive, or HDD that only had pictures you can just yank out of the old one and put in the new one and it will keep everything normally.

(You actually don't HAVE to format the C drive, but it's recommended, and I've seen it cause many a problems.)

Reactions: Vellaura
Solution

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020

Can i just plug in the windows ssd from the other pc while I already have a windows ssd plugged in and installed to get files from it?

Thank you :)

Can i just plug in the windows ssd from the other pc while I already have a windows ssd plugged in and installed to get files from it?

Thank you :)
You can plug it in, and even boot to it (not recommended.) but you will not be able to transfer files like that.
You mentioned an HDD, boot with your old computer, and transfer important files from the old windows ssd to the HDD, then move the HDD.

You can transfer files from a windows drive while not booted to it.

Reactions: Vellaura