[SOLVED] Different ping times

Baggedblue70

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Why are my ping times so different to the same IP address/domain name when I run a speed test (5ms) and command prompt (117ms)?

Solution
The distance is major factor but it would be a magic network that was direct fiber path all the way from your house to the server. If you do not have fiber to your house there is a lot of overhead. Cable adds 5-6ms of overhead at least. Things like dsl are in the 15-20ms range and if your think about say moble broadband those can add 50ms.

But ignoring that you need to be very sure they are both using the same IP address. As i mentioned look at the resource monitor. If you really want to know the latency use a capture program like wireshark. You can see every packet in a session and each has a time stamp so you can easily compute actually latency for most applications. Wireshark can be overwhelming for a new...
It likely is not the same IP. 5ms is almost impossible. It would have to be a server located very near your house and you would have to have a fiber to home type of internet to get numbers that low. Most people the first hop between their house and the ISP first router is close to 10ms.

Go into the network tab of the resource monitor when you run speedtest. You should be able to see the IP it is using. If it is a tcp session you can see the actual latency to speedtest server. Speedtest is a little strange though it will open session to mulitple server, not sure why......likely some advertising crap. You should be able to tell the testing server though because it will have a lot of traffic

Baggedblue70

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
It likely is not the same IP. 5ms is almost impossible. It would have to be a server located very near your house and you would have to have a fiber to home type of internet to get numbers that low. Most people the first hop between their house and the ISP first router is close to 10ms.

Go into the network tab of the resource monitor when you run speedtest. You should be able to see the IP it is using. If it is a tcp session you can see the actual latency to speedtest server. Speedtest is a little strange though it will open session to mulitple server, not sure why......likely some advertising crap. You should be able to tell the testing server though because it will have a lot of traffic

5ms even lower is always possible as it is basically distance related. the server is literally 15 minutes at most from my location. So speed test ping to server 5ms and using command prompt ping to same server 117ms. Yesterday they were both the same at 5ms.

The distance is major factor but it would be a magic network that was direct fiber path all the way from your house to the server. If you do not have fiber to your house there is a lot of overhead. Cable adds 5-6ms of overhead at least. Things like dsl are in the 15-20ms range and if your think about say moble broadband those can add 50ms.

But ignoring that you need to be very sure they are both using the same IP address. As i mentioned look at the resource monitor. If you really want to know the latency use a capture program like wireshark. You can see every packet in a session and each has a time stamp so you can easily compute actually latency for most applications. Wireshark can be overwhelming for a new user which is why I did not recommend it at first

Solution