[SOLVED] Different programs reading different CPU temps!

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
At this current state, HWINFO64 is saying that right now (for today) the max CPU temp was 68 Degrees Celsius, But GPU-Z Says that the max temp was 82 Degrees Celsius. I Trust more HWINFO64 since it's designed to report every single info it can, from temperatures of the CPU and GPU to temps of the mobo and SSD/HDD. GPU-Z has the word GPU in it, so I guess maybe it's not that accurate for other info? plus it doesn't provide info like CPU Core Temps which I read that its the place that you should monitor for temps the most. So which one is correct? I'm guessing HWINFO64?

Solution
It really depends on what each program is using for data. Modern CPUs, especially Ryzen ones, have lots of sensors around that it can potentially report.

There's also the fact that these programs typically report only once per second. There's a lot of "fun" that goes on in trying to report something accurate when that's your level of precision over time.

But to answer your question, I'd say use HWiNFO. GPU-z is, as the name implies, more suitable for GPU metrics.
It really depends on what each program is using for data. Modern CPUs, especially Ryzen ones, have lots of sensors around that it can potentially report.

There's also the fact that these programs typically report only once per second. There's a lot of "fun" that goes on in trying to report something accurate when that's your level of precision over time.

But to answer your question, I'd say use HWiNFO. GPU-z is, as the name implies, more suitable for GPU metrics.

Solution

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

I also thought so! thanks for the reply!

BTW: the CPU that I have is the i7 10700k if that matters

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel cpu's report every 256ms.

Temp Max's need to be taken with a grain of salt when read by software. While the cpu might read the temp every 256ms, that's not always the poll rate of the software. If the software polls 1x a second, that's 3x temps it's missing out on. If different software polls one of those 3x, it'll come up with a different temp.

It's entirely possible both are correct, except one software happened to poll a momentary spike, and the other didn't.

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Intel cpu's report every 256ms.

Temp Max's need to be taken with a grain of salt when read by software. While the cpu might read the temp every 256ms, that's not always the poll rate of the software. If the software polls 1x a second, that's 3x temps it's missing out on. If different software polls one of those 3x, it'll come up with a different temp.

It's entirely possible both are correct, except one software happened to poll a momentary spike, and the other didn't.
they both seem to report different info. HWINFO64 shows 30-38 Degrees while GPU-Z shows 38-43 Degrees. So should I delete GPU-Z and stay with HWINFO64?since it provides more accurate info?
GPU-Z seems to be good for monitoring your GPU but I mostly need as much info as I possibly can get for my CPU, which HWINFO64 provides correctly unlike GPU-Z

they both seem to report different info. HWINFO64 shows 30-38 Degrees while GPU-Z shows 38-43 Degrees. So should I delete GPU-Z and stay with HWINFO64?since it provides more accurate info?
GPU-Z seems to be good for monitoring your GPU but I mostly need as much info as I possibly can get for my CPU, which HWINFO64 provides correctly unlike GPU-Z

You should stick with HWinfo as it's usually the most accurate when it comes to monitoring software.