[SOLVED] different ram compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2020
Hello, my desktop pc's motherboard is Gigabyte G31M-S2L (Socket 775) and has a "Kingston 2,00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)" , as Priform Speccy says so.
I 'd like to add an extra memory and found this one : RAM MUSHKIN 991558 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHZ
Are the two ram compatible ? Will they work together ? Or, I have to buy 2 new identical ram ?
Thanks you

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should try and find the same stick of ram as your existing stick from Kingston or at the very least, try and find a 2x2GB kit form Mushkin, Kingston, Transcend or Corsair. If you need help in narrowing down rams, look for a 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel ram kit that is rated to operate at 1.8v(volts).

Don't mix and match ram sticks, just like you wouldn't wear two different(individual) shoes on your feet. Also, last note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to dropping the ram in. Which PCB version do you own for the motherboard?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should try and find the same stick of ram as your existing stick from Kingston or at the very least, try and find a 2x2GB kit form Mushkin, Kingston, Transcend or Corsair. If you need help in narrowing down rams, look for a 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel ram kit that is rated to operate at 1.8v(volts).

Don't mix and match ram sticks, just like you wouldn't wear two different(individual) shoes on your feet. Also, last note, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to dropping the ram in. Which PCB version do you own for the motherboard?

Reactions: nikthegreek65
Solution
Nov 21, 2020
Hello, thank you for your immediate response !
I'll go safe, as you said, and buy 2 identical new rams
As for my Bios Version, I found the following data:
-Bios F6, 05/06/2008
-SmBios: 2.4
-BiosMode: legacy

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.