[SOLVED] Different ram frequency

ssilviu250

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
Hi there, so right now i'm having 1 ram stick - HyperX Fury Red 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 on my MSI Z370-A PRO motherboard, and the CPU is i5-8400. A mate of mine is going to buy new rams, and said i could have his, but i can't remember the exact model now, but he said they are 1 ram stick, 16GB DDR4 @2133Mhz. Could i put his ram into my pc aswell? Like have my stick into the channel A slot2, and his into channel B, slot2?

(something like this)
View: https://imgur.com/AAVnJHI

Solution
So firstly, we would never recommend mixing RAM modules. Manufacturers do not support mixed RAM modules as they have all potential to not work together. It doesn't mean they never work, just it's not recommended at all.

Additionally, if you ran this in that channel, both of your RAM will operate at the lowest speed. So if you mixed a 2667 module with a 2133 one, BOTH will only operate at 2133. This logic will apply to ALL of your RAM timings. So you'd be technically downgrading your current RAM module speed, for an increased amount of RAM.

But again, there's no guarantee they will work together.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So firstly, we would never recommend mixing RAM modules. Manufacturers do not support mixed RAM modules as they have all potential to not work together. It doesn't mean they never work, just it's not recommended at all.

Additionally, if you ran this in that channel, both of your RAM will operate at the lowest speed. So if you mixed a 2667 module with a 2133 one, BOTH will only operate at 2133. This logic will apply to ALL of your RAM timings. So you'd be technically downgrading your current RAM module speed, for an increased amount of RAM.

But again, there's no guarantee they will work together.

Solution
Motherboard has 4 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 64GB memory
  • Supports 4000+(OC)/ 3866(OC)/ 3733(OC)/ 3600(OC)/ 3466(OC)/ 3400(OC)/ 3333(OC)/ 3300(OC)/ 3200(OC)/ 3000(OC) / 2800(OC)/ 2667/ 2400/ 2133 MHz
CPU supported memory: DDR4-2666

You can make any combinations you want. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations of memory you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. You can do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees if you choose to make such combinations.