Belmoto

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2016
Hello, I have MSI z170 m7 that previously working on 16gigs of ram with 2400mhz, today I bought a new 8x2 gigs which happen to be 2666mhz and not 2400, what are the disadvantages of running those both new rams and if I run them as this slot order 1-3 (new) and 2-4(old) would that be fine with quad channeling? or it wouldn't be quad channeling at all due to the difference in ram brands and speeds?

Solution
Hi
so it will work... i've been mixing and matching ram speeds on my pc's for years - they all seem to work fine.

the only down side is that your pc (windows or something else) will by default cap the speed of the faster ram to the speed of the slowest ram.

that being said, i literally just posted a question asking if faster speeds really make a difference in gaming or other things. but i know for a fact that having more ram is better than having faster ram (Like 9 out of every ten scenario's)
Oct 13, 2020
Hi i have Ryzen 5 3600 , MB Asus Prime B450m-a , 12GB Ram dual ( 4GB and 8GB ),
PSU 500 Cooler Master. In BIOS , my Ram speed is 2400 but in CPU-Z its deferent.
My question is why it is deferent? Is it a problem?
My Ram is Kingston Hyper X fury 2400

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
Hi
so it will work... i've been mixing and matching ram speeds on my pc's for years - they all seem to work fine.

the only down side is that your pc (windows or something else) will by default cap the speed of the faster ram to the speed of the slowest ram.

that being said, i literally just posted a question asking if faster speeds really make a difference in gaming or other things. but i know for a fact that having more ram is better than having faster ram (Like 9 out of every ten scenario's)

Solution