different recording lengths on a single disk

I have just got a brand new PC. P4, 3Ghz, 1G Ram 120G HD with Ulead
Videostudio 8 and Nero 6. my question is that blank dvd media eg. Memorex
DVD+R/RW quote several recording modes on the sleeve notes. (SP standard
play 120mins, EP extended play 240 mins, SEP super extended play 480mins
etc).
How can I achieve this using my current software. I have many hours of
vhs material to back up, and recording 8 hours of vhs on a single dvd would
reduce shelf space and keep similar themed videos together on one disk.
Thanks for any advice.

Bobski.

bobski5 wrote:

> I have just got a brand new PC. P4, 3Ghz, 1G Ram 120G HD with Ulead
> Videostudio 8 and Nero 6. my question is that blank dvd media eg. Memorex
> DVD+R/RW quote several recording modes on the sleeve notes. (SP standard
> play 120mins, EP extended play 240 mins, SEP super extended play 480mins
> etc).
> How can I achieve this using my current software. I have many hours of
> vhs material to back up, and recording 8 hours of vhs on a single dvd would
> reduce shelf space and keep similar themed videos together on one disk.

Use this bitrate calculator:
http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

-WD

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"bobski5" <bobski5@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have just got a brand new PC. P4, 3Ghz, 1G Ram 120G HD with Ulead
>Videostudio 8 and Nero 6. my question is that blank dvd media eg. Memorex
>DVD+R/RW quote several recording modes on the sleeve notes. (SP standard
>play 120mins, EP extended play 240 mins, SEP super extended play 480mins
>etc).
> How can I achieve this using my current software. I have many hours of
>vhs material to back up, and recording 8 hours of vhs on a single dvd would
>reduce shelf space and keep similar themed videos together on one disk.
> Thanks for any advice.
>
>Bobski.

The more you can fit on a single blank DVD disk the lower the quality
of the video. You should be able to fit 2 hours of good quality video
on a blank DVD. (SP Standard). You'll need a video bit rate of approx
6000 kbps.
For more information and access to some video tool programs take a
look at www.dvdrhelp.com

Regards Brian