[SOLVED] Different Speedtest results on iPhone compared to PC?

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
I’m having I have 250 Mbps plan and on my iPhone Speedtest app I’m getting high speeds to international servers whereas to the same servers on my PC I’m getting a maximum of 10 - 12 Mbps, what could be the issue behind this?

Solution
I don't see where you mentioned what operating systems your laptop and desktop are running.
Can you provide that information?

Assuming recent windows versions:
You might try netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=experimental
If it breaks anything or doesn't help, you can put it back to normal by
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

I don't really expect it to help, but there is a chance.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
try speedtest.net

try a different/better ethernet cable

eventually set the network connection to private instead of public

reinstall the latest LAN driver for your network adapter/motherboard

update your motherboard´s BIOS
Hi, I reinstalled the latest LAN driver, and my motherboard BIOS is up to date, and also set the network as private, nothing's changed.

I even tried connecting the same ethernet cable to my laptop and I am getting high speeds on speedtest.net to foreign servers, but on my PC it is maxing out at 10 - 12 Mbps.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hi, I reinstalled the latest LAN driver, and my motherboard BIOS is up to date, and also set the network as private, nothing's changed.

I even tried connecting the same ethernet cable to my laptop and I am getting high speeds on speedtest.net to foreign servers, but on my PC it is maxing out at 10 - 12 Mbps.
Your smartphone being wireless will always be a ton load slower then a ethernet connection directly to your PC. What your describing unfortunately is normal. Try to update the routers firmware if not already up to date. Then also you can disconnect router and modem for 10 minutes then connect the modem and wait for all lights to pop up then after that connect the router. After that take your iphone right next to the router and run speedtest closest to your location and tell us what your mbps is. If its like 30mbps or so that is unfortunately normal my friend. Also while your at it reset your iphone and let us know.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
Your smartphone being wireless will always be a ton load slower then a ethernet connection directly to your PC. What your describing unfortunately is normal. Try to update the routers firmware if not already up to date. Then also you can disconnect router and modem for 10 minutes then connect the modem and wait for all lights to pop up then after that connect the router. After that take your iphone right next to the router and run speedtest closest to your location and tell us what your mbps is. If its like 30mbps or so that is unfortunately normal my friend. Also while your at it reset your iphone and let us know.
View: https://i.imgur.com/H0j1ugd.png

Both iphone and my PC are connected to the same router.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
View: https://i.imgur.com/H0j1ugd.png

Both iphone and my PC are connected to the same router.
Yes of course. Just make sure your location is nearest to your provider. Have you taken the iphone right next to router and tested it? Also your PC results; are whack. A 211ms ping is unacceptable something fishy is def going on. Try the tips I gave you above and see if we can improve that. Your ping should not be over 20ms. You can get a app like Driver Easy and update all your drivers. Something is bogging it down or the ethernet cable has gone whack. Also there is a chance your ethernet port on PC is dying.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
Yes of course. Just make sure your location is nearest to your provider. Have you taken the iphone right next to router and tested it? Also your PC results; are whack. A 211ms ping is unacceptable something fishy is def going on. Try the tips I gave you above and see if we can improve that. Your ping should not be over 20ms. You can get a app like Driver Easy and update all your drivers. Something is bogging it down or the ethernet cable has gone whack. Also there is a chance your ethernet port on PC is dying.
I get good speeds to the nearest server and I am from India, but when I choose a server in New York, I get the above speeds. All my other devices are getting good speeds to foreign servers except my PC.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I get good speeds to the nearest server and I am from India, but when I choose a server in New York, I get the above speeds. All my other devices are getting good speeds to foreign servers except my PC.
Well ya India to New York is going to give you massive lag that is normal. Test on a server in India. Also unplug your ethernet cable and clean it with alchohol then plug it back in. A PC or a iphone to New York will give you whack results that are simply not true and have to do with congestion and what not.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
So, if you pick a local server, you get similar speeds on your phone and your laptop?

If so, it must be a TCP configuration issue - TCP window size, or something like that.
Exactly!! same speeds on phone and laptop and PC for local server, but if I choose a foreign server, only the phone and laptop gets high speeds, my PC gets only 10 - 10 Mbps.

I need to fix this issue cause icloud downloads are very slow so I'm kinda diagnosing.

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

do you have any tuning/boosting tools installed? uninstall these

do you use anti virus and/or firewall applications? Which one?
for testing uninstall this software as well

eventually reset windows

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Before you even try all the suggestions above, try these first

1) Directly connect your PC via ethernet cable from your modem, NOT ROUTER, if speed is at high speed, you know your router is having issue. If it is still slow, try connecting the same cable to other PC. If it is also slow, swap new RJ45 cable.

2) If after swapping to other PC, speed is still slow, you know that your modem is having issue. If speed is fast, you know that your RJ45 cable is the culprit.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
Before you even try all the suggestions above, try these first

1) Directly connect your PC via ethernet cable from your modem, NOT ROUTER, if speed is at high speed, you know your router is having issue. If it is still slow, try connecting the same cable to other PC. If it is also slow, swap new RJ45 cable.

2) If after swapping to other PC, speed is still slow, you know that your modem is having issue. If speed is fast, you know that your RJ45 cable is the culprit.
I've tried what you said, I don't have a Modem, I have a router only since I have FTTH connection. Once again, the laptop gets high speeds to foreign servers, but not my PC.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

do you have any tuning/boosting tools installed? uninstall these

do you use anti virus and/or firewall applications? Which one?
for testing uninstall this software as well

eventually reset windows
I did the windows integrity and it successfully completed.

I also did a clean boot but no change.

I use McAfee antivirus and I use evga precision x1, msi afterburner, rivatuner, and I tried disabling them all and still no change.

I don't see where you mentioned what operating systems your laptop and desktop are running.

Reactions: thecooldean
Solution

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016

Yaaaay, it fixed it!! You just saved my life after 4 years of staying in the dark lol.

Here is a sample speedtest from my city in India to Oslo, Norway. I'm also getting high download speeds in icloud!!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9877331638.png

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016

For some reason port forwarding is not working, I can't get into a multiplayer game.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
I'm glad that it fixed the problem - the setting allows the tcp window to grow more aggressively.

It should have absolutely no effect on port forwarding, but I guess there could be some subtle interaction. Does port forwarding work if you put it back to 'normal'?
Sorry my bad, I had forgot to make an exception to the ports in McAfee firewall, now the ports are forwarding.

Once again, thank you so much for fixing the issue.

Reactions: helpstar

TRENDING THREADS