[SOLVED] Different types of Fan / RGB Connectors

TripleYoThreat

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
Hi, hope you're doing well!

Been building computers for over 13 years now, so you can bet I'm asking after trying to figure it out as best as I could.

I got a simple question but its rather particular.
I've been doing a lot of builds lately and there have been so many different kinds of connectors I've seen. I'm familiar with the 12v 4 pin, 5v 3 pin, and 5v VGD 3 pin.
Now I saw some hubs / fans that combine power and led into 6 pin connectors. And then today I just received a case that has those in 5 pin connectors!
Rrzcvxq.jpg

What in the world is going on?! Are companies just making whatever proprietary connector they want? Is the 3 pin on the right VGD?

Also last week, I bought an LED strip that has 3 connectors, the 5v 3 pin (skipping one in the middle), VGD 3 pin, and a new 5v 4 pin. surprisingly my hub has it too.
61GjsQOvZ6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

In searching for an image for this post, I saw this which labels it as 'for hub' but what is this connector? Is it particularly for light strips for hubs? any more info? I would love a comprehensive list on all of them.

The amount of RGB connectors is getting out of hand. When I saw the 6 pin, I also saw I believe Corsair or a bigger name brand doing it, so I thought okay, they've consolidated RGB and PWM / Power, into one, that's fine and dandy, but after seeing the 5 pin today, that's thrown out the window and I'm quite confused.
Also, that case I bought with the 6 pin was probably one of the most well done hubs I've seen, except for the fact that it was 6 pin, it was a Musetek case, with an IR remote and I guess a microphone because it could be controlled by music. Couldn't plug the AIO cooler into it however (because it was 6 pin only)
Then I've also used a Montech case w hub, which was pretty solid, that supported the usual PWM connectors and 5v 3 pin on its hub and then the single button on the case controlled everything, AIO cooler, strips, fans, you name it.

Would love some kind of list or link to a list. Or if you wanna vent too, join in lol

Solution
What in the world is going on?! Are companies just making whatever proprietary connector they want? Is the 3 pin on the right VGD?
Imagine how things are with people who want RGB/ARGB but don't know what goes where. It's worse when people plug it into the wrong ports and then damage more than one thing in their build.

in order to cut corners or costs, case makers will include a connector that works with the fan but not with a motherboard. Often times, you might find that the Chinese have access to a motherboard that caters to the weird connector. Speaking of case, you forgot to mention the make and model of the case.

they've consolidated RGB and PWM / Power, into one,
Not really, they are just forcing you...

Lutfij

Titan
Imagine how things are with people who want RGB/ARGB but don't know what goes where. It's worse when people plug it into the wrong ports and then damage more than one thing in their build.

in order to cut corners or costs, case makers will include a connector that works with the fan but not with a motherboard. Often times, you might find that the Chinese have access to a motherboard that caters to the weird connector. Speaking of case, you forgot to mention the make and model of the case.

Not really, they are just forcing you into buying into their own ecosystem. e.g, the node courtesy of Corsair. You can't pair other fans to that hub accept theirs. Then was the Thermaltake proprietary controller and connector for ARGB and RGB devices.

Simply put, I avoid anything RGB unless it's subtle details like he GPU's backplate lighting or the rams.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

TripleYoThreat

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
Speaking of case, you forgot to mention the make and model of the case.

I'm not too worried about this one with the 5 pin, as I have an acceptable solution albeit not ideal. The 5v 3 pin argb coming out from this hub will go into another hub I've purchased. Daisy chained almost. And I managed to find one with a remote and mic so, it should control everything.

Not really, they are just forcing you into buying into their own ecosystem. e.g, the node courtesy of Corsair. You can't pair other fans to that hub accept theirs. Then was the Thermaltake proprietary controller and connector for ARGB and RGB devices.

I think you nailed it right there. Cause if they were really wanting to cut corners / costs, they may not put the 5v 3 pin connector at all. I think it's sales. They just wanna sell more stuff. And keep you tied to their ecosystem. Good point.