Question differet speed on differrent devices

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I have two fiber optics feeds, say, OA & OB, both at 35 mbps. I have two cell phones.

When I use both cell phones to check OA speed, both phones give a reading around 35 mbps

When I use both cell phones to check OB, one gives 35 mbps, the other 17 mbps. How do I tell which one to trust?

All four speed readings are from the same speed test site. I actually took at least two readings for each test, just to make sure the numbers are real.

Lutfij

Titan
What are the makes and models of both cell phones? Make and model of your wireless router/AP? You should also check and see if the wireless router you have between your ISP and the phone is on the latest firmware update. To get a better number/speed, it's a good idea to do more than 2 runs, average them and you should get a consistent number. You might want to also try the speed test at different times of the day to rule out traffic being the Achilles heel of your ISP(say, daytime).

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Are you running the speed tests at the same time? Cause if you are, that’s the problem.

one is using all the bandwidth before the other. Do the tests individually by spacing out the tests on each device but at least ten seconds. After that, then it could be the device or the time of day. Without specifications of the devices it’s hard to pen point what’s may be going on.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the replies.

Further tests show that RedMi (2020 model) and iPhone 6 plus can get 35 mbps while Huawei (2017 model) and Samsung Galaxy tablet can get no more than 20 mbps. They are connected directly to a Ruckus ZoneFlex R500 series access point supplied by ISP.

I then connect a TP-LINK TL-WR941ND to the ZoneFlex R500. Now, Huawei can get 35 mbps when connected to the TP-LINK.

I always thought if more devices are connected to the chain, the speed would be slower. Not sure why, in this case, the speed would be faster.