Question Difficult choice (Headphones and microphone for PC)

andemirkan07

Prominent
Apr 17, 2018
Hello, everybody!

I'm currently faced with a difficult choice.
Now I own the Sennheiser GSP 500 and I have a desire to change this headset to other headphones and a separate microphone.

First of all, general requirements that I have for the headphones.
The main requirement: full-size headphones with open acoustic system
Preferences for use: mainly for gaming and chatting (60%) and music (40%)
Musical preferences: rock (whether it's classics or modern trends like grunge, alternative rock, and so on), jazz, blues, classics and less often indie. I want "honesty" in the transmission of sound without artificial overstating, for example, low frequencies, as in cheap "gaming" headphones.
Game preferences: I want to immerse in the atmosphere of single games, due to the high quality of sound and good positioning where necessary
Ergonomics: I want to not be afraid of the strength of the structure, although I'm careful about things, but the breakdowns have a place to be. Therefore, a special interest is the cable of headphones. For me it is necessary to be sure of its longevity. Ear pads preferably velor (but not 100% necessary). Soundproofing, respectively, does not play any role. I would like to hear others when necessary (banal knock on the door, etc.). I do not like feelings of excessive soundproofing. I feel a kind of psychological discomfort.

Also, I'm not sure if I need a dedicated DAC, so I would like to hear your opinion on this.

The headphone options under consideration (if you have better suggestions, I would be happy to hear):
  • Sennheiser HD600 or HD650
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 (or PRO version)
  • Audio-Technica ATH-R70X or ATH-AD700X
The microphone options under consideration (feel free to offer another options):
  • Rode NT-USB or Rode NT1-A (I don't know about XLR mics, because I'm not sure if they are necessary)
  • Audio-Technica AT2020
Also, if a dedicated DAC it's a good option - I would really appreciate if you are offer some good options. (not to expensive, if this is possible. I am not a professional musician)

Thank you in advance!

Also, sorry for my english. I am from Russia (that's why I don't tell about budget in $)

hang-the-9

Titan
Headphones are such a personal pick that really all people can do is just offer you more options to pick from, and the ones you already are looking at are fine if you read reviews and like what they say.

Depending on how hard the headphones are to drive you may need an external headphone amp, and maybe a DAC if you want to make sure you are getting the best sound and can afford it. I use a very budget headphone amp/DAC combo, the FX Audio DAC-X6. Outside of the price I like the fact it has line out to run powered speakers without messing with the volume knob for the headphone level. The other good one that is new but almost double the price is the iFi Zen which was a close one for me to get but I went with the FX Audio mostly because it was pretty much free when I got the Amazon credit card with their $50 offer.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS