[SOLVED] Difficulties installing Win 10 after PSU failure

n00bster_15

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Hi, does anyone got any ideas about this? I'm feeling rather stumped..

I have an old PC that my kids use to play minecraft and roblox. The PSU died the other day (pretty badly, takes out the house circuit breaker if you try to power it). I have replaced it and had a few issues getting it up and running. Turns out the HDD had also died and the PC will not power if it is plugged in. I also had a SSD in the pc but only a small one (232gb) so am trying to install Windows onto this drive.

Tried to install from Windows DVD but that is just not working at all and I have no idea why. It says no bootable media even though the disk and drive work fine on another PC.
Tried to install from a bootable usb stick, first of all it told me the drive was too small (rubbish) so after some googling I found the config file on the Windows bootable drive and changed the minimum storage size to 230gb. Finally Windows started to install but failed with no error message (just said it failed).

I have loaded into Command Prompt, formatted the disk and run chkdsk which found no errors. I am now stuck, I have no idea why Windows won't install or what else I can try....

Update: I can now no longer get into the Windows installation environment at all... The bootable usb drive is no longer showing as a UEFI boot device and will not boot (same reason I can't boot from DVD?)

Thanks
Tom

Comment

Solution
If anyone is remotely interested I finally sorted out (after 3 days of messing about). Nearly bought a new SSD but couldn't find any evidence there was any problems with it so glad I didn't, don't think it would have helped. All it took in the end was changing the SATA port of the drive to SATA0 and then everything worked!

n00bster_15

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
More updates: I managed to start Windows install from a bootable USB. Got to about 60% and failed with an error that it couldn't access all files. Tried again, got to about 90% and failed with a differ, but similar error. Borrowed an external DVD reader and booted from the Win 10 DVD and got the same error....

I'm starting to think this might be an issue with the SSD (the psu could have killed it too, it was on the same power cable as the HDD), Trying to find ways to test a SSD outside of an OS.

Anyone know any good bootable SSD diagnostics (for an older Samsung SSD)?

n00bster_15

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
If anyone is remotely interested I finally sorted out (after 3 days of messing about). Nearly bought a new SSD but couldn't find any evidence there was any problems with it so glad I didn't, don't think it would have helped. All it took in the end was changing the SATA port of the drive to SATA0 and then everything worked!

Solution