• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Difficulty accessing Recovery console XP-Pro

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

Hello,

I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
normally.
So far I have tried the following:

Trying a blank password
Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
ERD console.
Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))

Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?

Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
It gets through POST ok.
It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.

If all else fails I will do a repair install.

Thanks,
Rob

Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
operating system

Scott

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:47:03 +1000, RobW <none@invalid.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
>It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
>Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
>The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
>know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
>normally.
>So far I have tried the following:
>
>Trying a blank password
>Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
>ERD console.
>Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))
>
>Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?
>
>Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
>It gets through POST ok.
>It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
>screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.
>
>If all else fails I will do a repair install.

I don't know about recovering the password for the admin account but if you
run chkdsk /r from a command prompt it should do the full check the next
time you reboot. It should ask you if you want to schedule a chkdsk...just
type Y and hit enter.

--
Scott

RobW wrote:
> The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
> know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
> normally.

Have you tried logging into that privileged acct and setting the
Administrator account's password from there?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users
and Groups > Users > right click on Administrator > Set Password

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

On 15 Sep 2005 23:20:47 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
<GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
>disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
>operating system

Thanks, tried it but I still can't log in to recovery console

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:47:14 -0400, Scott <scottm9000@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:47:03 +1000, RobW <none@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
>>It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
>>Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
>>The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
>>know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
>>normally.
>>So far I have tried the following:
>>
>>Trying a blank password
>>Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
>>ERD console.
>>Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))
>>
>>Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?
>>
>>Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
>>It gets through POST ok.
>>It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
>>screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.
>>
>>If all else fails I will do a repair install.
>>
>I don't know about recovering the password for the admin account but if you
>run chkdsk /r from a command prompt it should do the full check the next
>time you reboot. It should ask you if you want to schedule a chkdsk...just
>type Y and hit enter.

Plz re-read original post. You will see that I can't boot to windows.
The only command shell I can get is using a NT Boot CD.
Thanks.

RobW wrote:
> Plz re-read original post. You will see that I can't boot to windows.
> The only command shell I can get is using a NT Boot CD.
> Thanks.

Thanks for clarifying.

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:23:16 -0700, Z <Z@no.spam> wrote:

>Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users
>and Groups > Users > right click on Administrator > Set Password

The computer does not boot.
Thanks