Difficulty accessing Recovery console XP-Pro

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

Hello,

I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
normally.
So far I have tried the following:

Trying a blank password
Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
ERD console.
Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))

Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?

Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
It gets through POST ok.
It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.

If all else fails I will do a repair install.

Thanks,
Rob

Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
operating system

Scott

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:47:03 +1000, RobW <none@invalid.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
>It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
>Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
>The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
>know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
>normally.
>So far I have tried the following:
>
>Trying a blank password
>Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
>ERD console.
>Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))
>
>Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?
>
>Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
>It gets through POST ok.
>It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
>screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.
>
>If all else fails I will do a repair install.

I don't know about recovering the password for the admin account but if you
run chkdsk /r from a command prompt it should do the full check the next
time you reboot. It should ask you if you want to schedule a chkdsk...just
type Y and hit enter.

--
Scott

RobW wrote:
> The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
> know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
> normally.

Have you tried logging into that privileged acct and setting the
Administrator account's password from there?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users
and Groups > Users > right click on Administrator > Set Password

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

On 15 Sep 2005 23:20:47 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
<GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
>disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
>operating system

Thanks, tried it but I still can't log in to recovery console

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:47:14 -0400, Scott <scottm9000@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:47:03 +1000, RobW <none@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
>>It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
>>Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
>>The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
>>know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
>>normally.
>>So far I have tried the following:
>>
>>Trying a blank password
>>Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
>>ERD console.
>>Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))
>>
>>Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?
>>
>>Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
>>It gets through POST ok.
>>It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
>>screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.
>>
>>If all else fails I will do a repair install.
>>
>I don't know about recovering the password for the admin account but if you
>run chkdsk /r from a command prompt it should do the full check the next
>time you reboot. It should ask you if you want to schedule a chkdsk...just
>type Y and hit enter.

Plz re-read original post. You will see that I can't boot to windows.
The only command shell I can get is using a NT Boot CD.
Thanks.

RobW wrote:
> Plz re-read original post. You will see that I can't boot to windows.
> The only command shell I can get is using a NT Boot CD.
> Thanks.

Thanks for clarifying.

robw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:23:16 -0700, Z <Z@no.spam> wrote:

>Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users
>and Groups > Users > right click on Administrator > Set Password

The computer does not boot.
Thanks