Question Difficulty installing CPU cooler , will I need new paste

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Its an i5 10400f I had difficulties installing the stock cooler. I managed to install it but I had to reseat it slightly as only two of the stand pin things went on originally. Will it be okay without new paste? I don't think all of it applied onto the CPU as only half of the cooler was actually seated on the CPU. The cooler was off for like a minute or two.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
I did it this morning. Ifs on now securely, the cooler was only off for like a minute. There was still thermal paste on the heatsink ready to go onto the CPU.

Out at the moment and building the rest when I get home

geofelt

Titan
You are probably ok if you installed properly.
Look at the back of the motherboard and check that all 4 pushpins are through the motherboard and locked.
The key to doing this properly is to push down on diagonal pairs at the same time. If you do then one at a time, you will not get the cooler on level.

When you get a chance, look at your idle temperatures.
If they are something like 10-15c. over ambient then you are probably ok.

If you again need to remount later, run the cpu a bit to warm it up and soften the paste.
That makes it easy to remove the cooler.
Clean off the old paste with alcohol and apply a drop of new paste in the center. It will spread under heat and pressure.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
You are probably ok if you installed properly.
Look at the back of the motherboard and check that all 4 pushpins are through the motherboard and locked.
The key to doing this properly is to push down on diagonal pairs at the same time. If you do then one at a time, you will not get the cooler on level.

When you get a chance, look at your idle temperatures.
If they are something like 10-15c. over ambient then you are probably ok.

If you again need to remount later, run the cpu a bit to warm it up and soften the paste.
That makes it easy to remove the cooler.
Clean off the old paste with alcohol and apply a drop of new paste in the center. It will spread under heat and pressure.
Yeah it's all fine now , just need to check the temps. I do always install in a Criss cross fashion but the little black screw things on the white things wouldn't go up but managed to get them to go in

ASK THE COMMUNITY