Difficulty mounting my mobo?

joenoobwowlover

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Hello. I am a first time system builder. When mounting my Asus P6T inside my Cooler Master HAF 932, it appears that the 2 of the 9 screws can't reach the mount in the case. The screws are the 2 closest to the Mobo's panel. It seems that I would have to bend the board to push it down and make it fit, but I am not going to do that, lol. Its against common sense. It appears the board is really secure with 7/9 screws and the part of the board that is missing the 2 screws is secured by the back panel plate that comes with the board. Let me know what you think?

johng24601

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Hi,

Are you using the little gold (sometimes silver) hex standoffs? Most cases have a few already installed and you have to put the other ones in the correct holes in your case. Make sure they line up with the holes in your motherboard. Also make sure you don't have any extra standoffs in your case that don't have a matching hole in the motherboard as this can cause a short.

Good Luck

johng24601

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Sorry, I meant are you screwing the board into the little gold hex standoffs. The standoffs screw into the case, the motherboard sits on the standoffs and the screws go through the holes in the board and into the standoffs. Most cases have a few standoffs installed already (some do not) and as I said, you have to add the correct ones and remove any that were there that don't line up with the holes in your board. The standoffs keep the board from shorting out on the metal case. I've heard horror stories of people who have just mounted the board right to the case without using the standoffs. Sparks fly when they turn it on and it can fry the whole thing.

If you aren't sure, take the board out and count the standoffs. You should have one that lines up to each mounting hole in your motherboard. If there aren't any standoffs look in the bag of stuff that came with your case, they should be with the little screws. Screw those tightly into the case in the proper places (where they align with the holes on your motherboard) set the motherboard on top of the standoffs and then use your screw with the little washers to fasten the motherboard to the standoffs.

Again,

Good Luck