[SOLVED] Difficulty reinstalling Win 10

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I had a dual system win 7 & 10. 10 got corrupted and i got no help with Microsofts creation tool repair with all the options to correct it, so i formatted the drive and tried again with M. C.T. I did use my Product key the first time of win 7 and it worked the first time, but not this time. I know i could bypass the P .K. and still I could not install win 10. Finally I was almost close to installing it when i got a message that it could not be installed because of the existing MBR. I know Win 10 has to have GPT, but confused how did i have MBR in the first place, and maybe that is why it got corrupted. I found on youtube a demo on now to convert MBR to GPT, but the date went back a couple of years or so, but i tried it out of frustration. It suggested during the M>C>Tool process to press the keyboards "Shift + F10" together and a small pgm appears which would convert it to GPT. ...but i did not get that pgm, no matter how many times i pressed it....so now I am in Limbo.

Solution
If you installed the OS while you were on your current set of hardware, then the license key doesn't need inputting. You can continue to install the OS after skipping to I don't have a license key since the key itself is stored in the BIOS chip which is why people are advised to contact Microsoft support when they replace the motherboard or the BIOS chip to verify it's indeed them.

Might I ask what you storage drives are? Motherboard's make and model? BIOS version for your motherboard? Does the storage drive contain any critical data(and does it have multiple partitions)?

Lutfij

Titan
If you installed the OS while you were on your current set of hardware, then the license key doesn't need inputting. You can continue to install the OS after skipping to I don't have a license key since the key itself is stored in the BIOS chip which is why people are advised to contact Microsoft support when they replace the motherboard or the BIOS chip to verify it's indeed them.

Might I ask what you storage drives are? Motherboard's make and model? BIOS version for your motherboard? Does the storage drive contain any critical data(and does it have multiple partitions)?

Solution