Difficulty with powerline/router combo

Aug 1, 2018
I have the xfinity modem/router in my office. I'd like to get a wired connection to my steam link and tv in the adjacent living room without using more ethernet cabling. I'd also like to boost the signal coming from the xfinity modem/router in the office so that the furthest bedroom, about 5 walls away, can get clear wifi connection.

So after a bit of research, I found that powerline adapters might allow me to achieve this. So I bought ZyXEL PLA 5456 (which have encryption capability) and the following is how I set them up:

(office)[xfinity router/modem -> powerline1] ---> (living room)[powerline2 -> steam link, tv, router]

The problem is that I can't seem to connect to the router WIFI with a wireless device. Most of the time the router's name doesn't even pop up in the list of networks to connect to. I know that the router is receiving a good connection, because I've successfully got the tv connected both through the powerline's ethernet point directly AND through a wired connection to the router. I also know that the router WIFI is functional, as I connected to it not using the powerline.

One thing I've noticed is that when I unplug the powerlines, and plug them back in, for a brief time, I can see the WIFI network, however I am unable to connect to it.

Does anyone have advice on this? Maybe it's an encryption thing through the powerline devices? Also, I have coax ports in all the rooms of interest. Would I be better off going with something like MoCA. Any input is greatly appreciated, so thank you!

Solution
It really should have no effect at all on the WiFI. The router thinks you have connected the device in the remote room with a ethernet cable. The powerline units are completely transparent.

These powerline units will not improve the wifi in any way they do not have wifi radios in them. They do make some models that have wireless chips in them and they act as a AP on the remote end.

To get good wifi you best bet is to buy a inexpensive router and use it as a AP and plug it into the remote powerline unit. You could also buy a actual AP if you wanted.

Powerline is going to be cheaper than moca. You would use Moca if powerline didn't perform well..some houses have issues for unknown reasons.
It really should have no effect at all on the WiFI. The router thinks you have connected the device in the remote room with a ethernet cable. The powerline units are completely transparent.

These powerline units will not improve the wifi in any way they do not have wifi radios in them. They do make some models that have wireless chips in them and they act as a AP on the remote end.

To get good wifi you best bet is to buy a inexpensive router and use it as a AP and plug it into the remote powerline unit. You could also buy a actual AP if you wanted.

Powerline is going to be cheaper than moca. You would use Moca if powerline didn't perform well..some houses have issues for unknown reasons.

Solution