[SOLVED] Diffrence between RAM side and channel.

Jun 28, 2020
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my PC build and bought a ryzen 5 3600 and a msi A320M-A PRO MAX mobo, the big problem was that i didn't searched for compatibility on my RAM and sadly it didn't support it.
So, there's this website (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A320M-A-PRO-MAX#support-mem-19) that tells me if it supports it or not, but the one i want to buy (HX432C16FB3/8) says its single sided, does this mean it wont run on dual channel? or is it a completely different thing?

Solution
DIMMs that have chips on one side only are usually single-rank DIMMs. There's a limit to the number of ranks that can be installed per channel; on consumer motherboards the typical limit is 4, two per DIMM slot.

This is unrelated to single/dual-channel.
DIMMs that have chips on one side only are usually single-rank DIMMs. There's a limit to the number of ranks that can be installed per channel; on consumer motherboards the typical limit is 4, two per DIMM slot.

Solution
Jun 28, 2020

Thanks! is single sided better than dual?

Last edited:
Thanks! is single sided better than dual?

No. They're cheaper.

Multi-channel memory architectures require at least one rank in each memory channel in order to take advantage of as much memory bandwidth as possible. Thus, system builders need to include at least one DIMM per channel. The most cost effective solution is one single-rank DIMM per channel. Dual-rank DIMMs are more expensive, even at the same total capacity.

An 8 GiB dual-rank DIMM is constructed from two 4GiB ranks, usually one on each side.

An 8 GiB single-rank DIMM is constructed from one 8GiB rank, usually with all chips on one side and the other side bare.

The dual-rank DIMM will provide slightly better performance, but the reasons for that are beyond the scope of this post. It will also be more expensive

Reactions: xedrx
Jun 28, 2020
No. They're cheaper.

Multi-channel memory architectures require at least one rank in each memory channel in order to take advantage of as much memory bandwidth as possible. Thus, system builders need to include at least one DIMM per channel. The most cost effective solution is one single-rank DIMM per channel. Dual-rank DIMMs are more expensive, even at the same total capacity.

An 8 GiB dual-rank DIMM is constructed from two 4GiB ranks, usually one on each side.

An 8 GiB single-rank DIMM is constructed from one 8GiB rank, usually with all chips on one side and the other side bare.

The dual-rank DIMM will provide slightly better performance, but the reasons for that are beyond the scope of this post. It will also be more expensive

Great, thanks for the info!