[SOLVED] Digital PSU - worth it?

AzowiX

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
I see the RM1000i from Corsair and that is a digital PSU.
I am in dilemma if choose that or Seasonic PRIME Gold / Antec Signature but they not have this feature.
All the models here cost same price.

I think this feature is some cool because you can monitor your PSU and controlling the speed of the fan.
For mining and gaming right now.

Solution
i was trying to figure out what options it showed in Icue.
the only sensors it seems to have that you won't find in hwinfo (maybe, it might show them if PSU is in PC) are fan speed, Temp & Efficiency. as per screenshot here - https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1013701
I don't know if it lets you set a fan curve for PSU fan, it probably does since you can do it with every other fan attached to Icue.

I don't have an opinion, I was just looking to see what choices were like and what Icue showed that might make digital worth having.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Given Seasonic PSU don't even run the fan at all until about 40% load, unless you press button on the back, the ability to change fan speed is nice but not really an advantage.

I see you decided on seasonic (I saw Linus forums) so I am not going to argue. There are some reports of spikes on higher end RTX cards messing with Seasonic PSU but I don't have anything solid on that.

The Antec is made by Seasonic anyway. Its based on the Focus family from memory.

AzowiX

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Given Seasonic PSU don't even run the fan at all until about 40% load, unless you press button on the back, the ability to change fan speed is nice but not really an advantage.

I see you decided on seasonic (I saw Linus forums) so I am not going to argue. There are some reports of spikes on higher end RTX cards messing with Seasonic PSU but I don't have anything solid on that.

The Antec is made by Seasonic anyway. Its based on the Focus family from memory.

From what I read.. the Signature based on prime platform..
You can write your opinion..
The button on the seasonic is fine.. you can turn it on when you want that.. But I think I can do that even on the corsair with the software.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i was trying to figure out what options it showed in Icue.
the only sensors it seems to have that you won't find in hwinfo (maybe, it might show them if PSU is in PC) are fan speed, Temp & Efficiency. as per screenshot here - https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1013701
I don't know if it lets you set a fan curve for PSU fan, it probably does since you can do it with every other fan attached to Icue.

I don't have an opinion, I was just looking to see what choices were like and what Icue showed that might make digital worth having.

Solution

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020

That was fixed some time ago, I checked as I have one.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Focus Gold, 850FX.

850W is total overkill for my PC, but the price difference to lower power models was negligible, and I didn't know whether my next graphics card was going use a silly amount of power or not, or what other changes were going to happen over the next 10-years, so I hedged my bets and got a PSU that outputs double my current wattage needs.

Last edited:

AzowiX

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Focus Gold, 850FX.

850W is total overkill for my PC, but the price difference to lower power models was negligible, and I didn't know whether my next graphics card was going use a silly amount of power or not, or what other changes were going to happen over the next 10-years, so I hedged my bets and got a PSU that outputs double my current wattage needs.

The FX model is the previous platform that have the issues...

Colif

Win 11 Master
How do you find out which Seasonic model are problem ones, I have a PX750, just curious. it was only made in March last year, Focus Plus Platinum is now the Focus PX

I see mention of the Focus plus range but they have upgraded since then. FX replaced by GX.