Digital Storm Finally Releases The Aventum 3, Starts At $4,930

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
They should provide financing options.

They do, see here: https://www.digitalstorm.com/financing.asp

In after somebody defends a $5k gaming computer.

It is very much justified, I've seen youtubers give personal testamonies in the comment section and it's well worth over 5 years of future proofing. You'll be throwing any and everything at these machines without so much as a micro stutter!

That is to say, at consitently high frame rates, no matter the demand of new games within that period, this machine is already miles ahead of any bottleneck possible.

The PCI-E connectors - Good idea, poor execution. Cable routing kills aesthetics.

Not so good an idea to have MoBo debug LED upside down

Aesthetics seem more geared to younger folks who likely can't afford it.

Priorities off .... MoBo water cooling cooling but no GFX ?

Too many ports on MoBo block

For that price, ya wud expect rigid tubing

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

You can add exclusive instructions before checkout as to how you'd like your personal rig setup, also, there is a financing solution to those who may not afford it immediately: https://www.digitalstorm.com/financing.asp

Note: This is only possible when customization is selected below default builds. ;)
(Your personal requests before checkout that is.) =P

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
They should provide financing options.

They do, see here: https://www.digitalstorm.com/financing.asp

In after somebody defends a $5k gaming computer.

It is very much justified, I've seen youtubers give personal testamonies in the comment section and it's well worth over 5 years of future proofing. You'll be throwing any and everything at these machines without so much as a micro stutter!

That is to say, at consitently high frame rates, no matter the demand of new games within that period, this machine is already miles ahead of any bottleneck possible.

I am afraid not mate. This is hardly better than my $2800 OCed 5930K and dual 980Ti's system. That is of course it is using a 5980X and 3 way 980Tis (which it probably isn't at the $5k price point.

To make matters worse, is what Pascal will do to this machine. Future proof this is not. Considering the rate at which 4K gaming is eating up VRAM and graphics power. This thing is just enough to game today's 4k games. It will struggle with the futures 4K games. Pascal will see a potential jump of 2-5Xs the Graphics performance than the current generation of cards. Making a single high end Pascal card potentially embarrassing this $5K machine in less than a years time.

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Lol...

You say that like it's bound to a particular setup, like I said in a former reply: "You can add exclusive instructions before checkout as to how you'd like your personal rig setup, also, there is a financing solution to those who may not afford it immediately: https://www.digitalstorm.com/financing.asp"

(Note: This is only possible when customization is selected below default builds. ;)
(Your personal requests before checkout that is.) =P

It can certainly take your setup and perform far, faaaaaaaar superior!

Add all the personal instructions ya want and it doesn't get any more attractive nor improve the performance per dollar ratio. Paying too much for something doesn't make it more attractive because you are paying for it in installments.

With 4k at just 60 - 75 Hz, I can't see it as in any way compelling for a gaming build. Until we see two cards being able to handle AAA games, at 60 + fps and 120 Hz, it will remain less than attractive to most users. And until Display Port 1.3 arrives, that's just not possible.

Far superior ? look again at the performance difference between 2 and 3 cards in SLI:

Witcher 3 @ 4k
1 980 Ti = 29.2
2 980 Ti = 41.7
3 980 Ti = 46.9 (12% faster)

Metro LL @ 4k
1 980 Ti = 37.4
2 980 Ti = 64.6
3 980 Ti = 64.7 (0.1% faster)

On average, scaling with a 2nd card on Z97 is up near 75% ....> 90% in the more demanding games. A 3rd card is down around 20% (or less) and requires a significant price premium for X99 MoBo / CPU, DDR4, PSU that is hard to justify on a fps / dollar basis.

OTOH, 60 fps+ on 1440p is easily doable across the board with a better image than 4k (IPS, no Ghosting, ULMB) for less than half the money.

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Anyone reading this reply, including yourself, go take a read at those advance/smart cooling technologies installed by default, that alone brings your setup to it's knees! xD::::

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Try again with 4x FuryX Cards - Up to a MAX of 100fps @4K Crossfired!
and wouldn't you know it, this being proven on a very moderate setup, where as on a rig like this? Don't get me started!
LOL

Anyone reading this reply, including yourself, go take a read at those advance/smart cooling technologies installed by default, that alone brings your setup to it's knees! Loooooooool

You're dreaming.

1. You also have no idea what system I am running so that's a pretty bold and, frankly, completely irresponsible statement. Especially with over $2.5k in water cooling components including 5 x 140mm of radiator w/ fans in push / pull, twin DDC pumps, multiple GPU water blocks, CPU waterblock and motherboard waterblock, 3 fan speed control PCBs, 6 temperature sensors and sixteen 140mm fans. I have no doubt that the thermal capacity of the system I have installed can provide 2 - 3 times the cooling that they have. The system they show will experience a maximum of 270 watts of heat production.

2. OTOH, my CPU is overclocked 31% (72C) and GPUs are overclocked 26% on cores (39C) and 22% on memory. VRM temps are in mid to high 50s under Furmark. Heat generation is calculated at 790 watts; the DS system depicted in the article clearly can't handle that. Their GPU cores on air will run twice as hot and their VRMs will be well into the 90s stacked as they are.

3. Welcome to the current era where water cooling provides great aesthetics and drastically lower noise but does just about squat for performance. Today, with current Intel / nVidia technology, the overclocking wall is no longer thermal. It's voltage.... I have done numerous "on air" builds with equal or greater OCs. Temps are still within acceptable ranges and they are noisier, something that DS, again, does nothing about as GPU fans will be screaming.

BitsPower water blocks, pumps, fittings and radiators

The fittings are the only things of note here; everything else doesn't exactly sit atop the performance charts.

The cable and tube routing is still sloppy and the case design, especially the window, does nothing to hide what anyone concentrating on aesthetics wants to hide.

1. The Fury is not in the system presented in the article.

2. The system in the article does not have 4 cards

3. The system in the article is does not have water cooled GPUs.

4. Where are you putting the 4 radiators for those FuryX's ?

5. Hate to break it to ya but the FuryX is slower than the 980 Ti out of the box and a world apart when both systems are overclocked.

perfrel_3840.gif

Here we see that the 980 Ti reference is 2% faster than the FuryX reference at 4k. So now let's see what happens when we overclock a non reference card

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/34.html

Oops, there is no such thing as a FuryX non-reference card, so overclocking the reference card we see brings us a whopping (108.1 / 102.9) 5.1%

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/33.html

Here we see that the 980 Ti went up 31.4% above reference speeds (134.8 / 102.6)

So.... the 980 Ti when stuck in a system that is supposed to be "bawlz to the wall" over clocked is almost 30 % faster than the FuryX. So you can see why DS, in attempting to showcase their "overclocked beast" , didn't put in those FuryX's ....with the 980 Tis being almost a third faster, wouldn't exactly be thought of as a wise strategy.

As far as "getting you started", a good start would be making a comment relative to the $4,930 system in the article or one that actually presented the performance of the named components in a factual manner.

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

All of this still being irrelivant due to the simple fact ANYONE can request to emulate your EXACT setup and it'll perform even better! I mean, you live under a rock or something? They give all the watercooling in the world!

and about any noise to begin with, even without dampening foam, these systems reign supreme!

I dear you to challenge the DS team on a whole to a temp/fps duel, then come back on your knees proclaiming my superior knowlegde here lmao!!!

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

You can change your "setup" with more money... sure. So could I. I will bet you $1,000 my custom OC'd PC will blow this computer out of the water with the same hardware from factory... DESTROY it. considering... I am pushing my OC's about 50-100% further than anything offered by any boutique PC maker.

You my friend, are incorrect. "It can certainly take your setup and perform far, faaaaaaaar superior!" Silly Kid

The subject is the article as presented, not what they can or you think they can do. There is nothing at all "special" about what they are doing. I know the switcheroo thing has become popular via the recent presidential debates where a participant is asked a direct and specific question, the question is ignored and an answer to a question never asked is given, but when you quote a message and then respond, you are obligated to have your remarks be relevant to the passage you quoted.

You have yet to do that. The price is absolutely ridiculous for what is being provided and yes, I most certainly can do better. In addition, you pump up your argument with options that 1) are slower than what listed in the posts you are quoting and 2) their web site says are not available.

Your answer implies that DS has some magic skills, resources are technique that no one else has access to. You have provided no support whatsoever for this argument. The EK CPU water block will perform no better than the one any of us can buy from EK, the EK MoBo water block will perform no better than the one any of us can buy from EK. Except for the fact that EK doesn't actually make a water block for the $4,930 system referenced in the article nor for the $7,175 system that comes with three 980 Tis.

According to the web site, the advertised configurations for $4,930 and $7,175 do not come overclocked (neither CPU nor GPUs) and you have to add a motherboard upgrade to get both the MoBo Water Block and CPU overclock. To OC the GFX cards, you have to pay an extra $45 also.

The are superior radiators as compared to the Bitspower ones that they use. The are superior pumps as compared to the Bitspower ones that they use. You say they can upgrade anything but the fact is no such options are listed on their web site. They don't even tell you how much radiator is being provided.

If their amateurish cable and tubing routing is indicative of their water cooling skills, they certainly can not compete with most water cooling enthusiasts. I find it comical to the level of trust you put in their abilities when they use a picture with three GFX cards and list a starting at price of $4,930 which doesn't have 3 cards. The article purports to use a $500 MoBo but the actual 3 GFX card configuration uses a $200 one for which their stated supplier does not manufacture a Water Block for this model. There is no MoBo water block included in the parts list for the $4,930 or $7,175 3 GFX card build. So much for the alleged "superior built in water cooling advances".

For all this superior performance you are claiming, why do they only guarantee only a 4.5 Ghz OC.....and tehn ONLY if you pick a different "high end" motherboard than is included in the base configuration. Explain to me exactly how what they are offering is anything beyond the built in overclocking functions of the selected motherboard. Some other items of note:

-The fancy red finish is not included, it's an $800 option and trim options are not available

-The Asus Strix certainly is not among the top performing 980 Tis

-They have GPU water cooling options but oddly offer no details on components provided. Given the great similarity in the descriptions, I would say it's the EK Predator system.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2015/08/14/ek-predator-launch-date/1

-And no, contrary to your statement, 4 FuryX's is not an option.

-They charge $45 to install and run Afterburner

-The advertised "System Recovery Toolkit" is what the rest of us call "Windows System Restore"

-The McAfee AV listed as a $35 value" is $16 for 3 PCs on Amazon and single user licenses are under $10 all over.

-They bundle a game coupon in there but that's listed as part of an "nVidia bundle" ... in which case, you should get 3 coupons not 1.

Using their components, exactly as specified in their $7,175 system on PCpartpicker, I come up with a total of $4,316 including pump, fan control PCB, necessary fans, reservoir, top quality water block, tubing and fittings

Adding an Ek Res-3 reservoir, will cost about $62....set of cable mod cables adds $89

The LED Lighting is given a value of $39 if you delete it. I purchased 5 meter LED strip for $5.49 and selected case already has built in control system.

So adding up what I couldn't get on pcpartpicker and the other items, anyone here could build an equivalent system for $4,473 at a savings of $2,700. So tell us, exactly, what we are getting for that extra 60 % cost premium of $2,700. And this time:

- include only options that are actually available
- include the extra cost associated therewith.
- explain why their components or installation methods adds something that is not readily available to any one of us.

graphicsboy

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Well I am speaking of what they can do, I want the case and easy setups for the most part lol

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Someone got owned right here lol. Ohh, and a HUGE lol about the 800$ red option. At this price, better buy an air compressor with the tools needed to paint it yourself. You'll save some dough, and still have a compressor sitting in your garage for other purposes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.