Digital Storm Reveals its Velox Customizable Gaming PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
....since when is an overclockable i5 with a lower-flagship graphics card just "Good" or "Midrange." Seriously Tom's, don't try to do their advertising for them, it just makes you look silly.

That being said, this is an awful pretty rig; hard tubing is always gorgeous.
However, I know a whole bunch of the computer builders I know won't touch water cooling because they don't want to do the maintenance... so what's going to happen when somebody who can't or doesn't want to learn how to build a computer buys this thing only to discover that it requires a fairly high level of attention and maintenance?

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
....since when is an overclockable i5 with a lower-flagship graphics card just "Good" or "Midrange." Seriously Tom's, don't try to do their advertising for them, it just makes you look silly.

That being said, this is an awful pretty rig; hard tubing is always gorgeous.
However, I know a whole bunch of the computer builders I know won't touch water cooling because they don't want to do the maintenance... so what's going to happen when somebody who can't or doesn't want to learn how to build a computer buys this thing only to discover that it requires a fairly high level of attention and maintenance?

High level of maintenance? I've had my current watercooling loop installed for about 2 years now, and I haven't even changed the water once. Watercooling headaches are almost entirely in the installation and setup. The maintenance part is near non-existent.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

You're confused: Digital Storm always classifies its base configs as "Good" (Level 1), "Better" (Level 2), "Best" (Level 3), and "Ultimate" (Level 4).

And I think I'm confused: How is this not a midrange system, with the i5, 770, etc.? I mean sure, it's all relative--compared to a basic 'ol desktop this is a fighter jet--but you can add plenty of oomph yet to this rig by upgrading the components from the Level 1 base configuration.

High level of maintenance for somebody who doesn't even know they should dust out their computer.

Seriously, I have a friend who is constantly asking me how to make is computer run quieter, but then refuses to look at watercooling because "refilling the water is too much work." Lazy? Yes. But most users are.

(Also, you generally should be taking your loop apart and cleaning it even year or two. Just saying. There can be a lot of buildup with no signs of it.)

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

I've been doing water cooling for about 15 years now, I know how often you "should" clean it out. I'm doing this current run as a sort of test. I'll probably take it apart in about 6 months to see what 2.5 years with no cleaning looks like.

As for "laziness". I think anyone who bothers buying a $3000 water cooled PC is probably competent enough to clean the water and clean the blocks once every 2 years lol. We're not talking some $599 special at best buy here, the target audience for this kind of system is a gamer who is probably pretty serious about his gear.

It's a $1500 computer BEFORE the watercooling. This is absolutely a high end rig, especially since a standard i7 is a waste of money for gaming.

Of course you can add oomph. You could use an extreme chip and three Titan Z's... why should that mean that this isn't a high end rig? It's way more expensive than most people would even consider and is powerful enough to max games at 1080p on a 120hz monitor.

"High end" doesn't mean the most expensive thing you can get, it means quality and the ability to do whatever you ask of it. A ridiculous computer that maxes games over three monitors is ridiculous, not what the standard for a good gaming computer is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS