Digital Storm Rig Clocks 4.6 GHz at 0ºC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]$4k for the 950 comp? I could make a system with a 980X liquid cooled with SLI'd 580s and some SSDs while still being under that. Much more performance for less. Just not worth the extra .2ghz you get with the overclock.[/citation]
Looks matter... and workmanship :)

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is obviously for people who see money as no object. This isn't about efficiency, or best bang for buck.

This is the present some kid gets for Christmas or his birthday, meanwhile mommy is one of the very few people in this country who actually get a Mercedes with a red bow on top for Christmas.

I personally don't mind rich people spending money...better than sitting in a bank account collecting more zeros and more interest.

democedes

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Darkv1[/nom]I'm curious to see how they are getting around the issue of condensation...[/citation]
According to Digital Storm only the CPU is cooled by the TEC. Everything else uses conventional water cooling. They place foam around the CPU socket and water block to absorb condensation.

democedes

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Freshnbaked[/nom]youyou would be right, even the 12 core AMD monster OC's 800mhz over would still beat that....by a fair margin and would cost about 1875usd cheaper, just priced one out, they are not worth it but it does look good.[/citation]
This is a gaming rig. Benchmarks show that games don't use more that four cores. That is to say you can't improve game performance by adding more than 4 cores.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]democedes[/nom]According to Digital Storm only the CPU is cooled by the TEC. Everything else uses conventional water cooling. They place foam around the CPU socket and water block to absorb condensation.[/citation]
What they didn't isn't exactly special. There's a few companies that make boxes you throw in your water loop that are basically a TEC and copper sandwich with water in / out barbs. Only problem is a) they draw tons of power and b) condensation like crazy.

eyeklops

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]peltiers keeping a rig clocked at 4.8G'ees and 0C are going to drawing a ton of power and if they ever fail and invert..., whoa nelly[/citation]
Yea, this sounds like a 1.5 or 2kw machine.

phosun3000

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
[citation][nom]phosun3000[/nom]"The “Level 3” model starts at $6,304."How much beer and hookers does that buy?[/citation]
To answer my own question, I think I can get one hooker and once case of beer per month for 3 years which is about the time it will take for this computer to be outdated.

nutriment6464

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
[citation][nom]brisingamen[/nom]in order to reach 0 celcius on water they must have a very smooth loop with an undervolted cpu and probably underclocked a tad.[/citation]
Actually they're running it a 4.6 Ghz

G

Zero or minus degrees Centigrade and water-cooled sounded IMPOSSIBLE since as water freezes to ICE at ZERO Centigrade. So, I am betting that the liquid ain't water, but some form of liquid whose freezing point is much colder than ZERO centigrade, or that the water contains salt (salinity)????

G

Anonymous, you are making an assumption that they are using water and not some alternative liquid solution. Regardless, its not the water that is below ambient room temps, actually its far from it... The contact point between the CPU and TEC system which is the only point able to cool below ambient temps. Because of this condensation only comes into play around the CPU. The water cooling system is simply to remove the crazy amount of heat the TEC system is generating. If they are using the TEC system outside of just the CPU cooling they had to resolve all sorts of condensation issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.